Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two cockatiels for about 1 1/2 months.

they are in a cage that is about 20 x 17 x 24.

I'm considering getting a large cage and i was wondering what other people with two cockatiels have for a cage. This cage is really hard to clean. I'm looking for a cage that is about 30 X 20 x 60. A bit larger.
But y cage doesn't have a pull out grate and it's hard to get into the cage and clean. Any ideas.....is my original cage large enough for my two.
My two are named Ash & Sinder. They are abut 6-7 months old.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Welcome to the forums. :)

You're current cage is really only suitable for one cockatiel with a lot of out of cage time. The dimensions you mentioned make me think of this double flight cage:
http://www.aecageco.com/Flight_and_Aviary-Double_Flight_Cage_with_Divider_64_x21_2.html
A cage of that size would be comfortable for up to a max. of six tiels i would say, and an absolutely luxurious mansion for two! :D So that's awesome if you end up getting something like that!

Personally i have two single flight cages with two tiels in each one.
http://www.aecageco.com/Flight_and_Aviary-Powder_Coated_Wrought_Iron_Cage.html

Whatever you end up getting, always look for something that is longer that it is tall, or at least not too much taller than it is long. :) Birds can use width/length much more than they can height.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thnaks so the info.....did you order your cage from A & E Cage Company...how are their pricing.

I was considering order this 30 X 22 X 63 from Windy City Parrot.. they have free shipping and for a first time visit, they give you 15% off. I might go up one or two sizes now that i have some input.

Really interested in what A & E Cage has for prices but it says you have to call.

The cage i have now came with the two tiels......so i couldn't complain. but it sure is hard to clean......

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I'm in Australia so no, i didn't order from A&E. :) It was just the first brand i thought of that i knew makes them.

·
Registered
670 Posts
i have a parrot cage and its ok for one, mind you having said that no way would i put a big parrot init ??

i am sure if you went ot a petshop and spoke to someone in there they could tell you

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
i am sure if you went ot a petshop and spoke to someone in there they could tell you
I have to say that i would never trust a pet shop employee. I hate to generalize, but the point of a pet shop is to make a profit, and they do that by selling ridiculous products to uneducated pet owners. The "budgie" cages most pet shops sell wouldn't even be suitable for a finch, and the cages "designed" for other species are usually just as inappropriate.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :D
With cages - bigger and wider/length are better they will be happier and will love the space.
Like Bea I never trust pet shop employees because the are just there for the shop not to help you and sell you things that are the best for you pets. And most of them don't even know anything about animals! :)

·
Registered
670 Posts
I have to say that i would never trust a pet shop employee. I hate to generalize, but the point of a pet shop is to make a profit, and they do that by selling ridiculous products to uneducated pet owners. The "budgie" cages most pet shops sell wouldn't even be suitable for a finch, and the cages "designed" for other species are usually just as inappropriate.

sorry didn't realise, we have a local pet shop in hitchin run by pet owners and are pretty good they have pets of there own but i suppose this is different, they sold me a budgie cage but when they did sated that the budgie could only sleep in in it wouldn't be suitable to leave the budgie in there all the time,

but i say the bigger the better

i don't know about cockatiels but busgies like length rather than height as they cant fly up or don't like to

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Cage Pet supply Bird supply
I don't know what you are paying at windy city but it seems to me I looked at them when I was looking for a cage. I found a great cage even larger than what you are proposing for $149.00 Free shipping anytime you spend more than $50. it arrived in 6 days www.bird.com It's listed as 40 X 32 X 70 but that includes the seed catcher. It's also powder coated. It's under the heading "Super Value Bird Cages" http://www.bird.com/search.asp?SKW=div_15,svbirdcages&catID=563per

1 - 11 of 11 Posts