Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of a friend needs a new home for her tiel, a girl. I have two already, both boys. I also have two Quakers, a budgie, a pigeon and a starling. The starling lives separately from everyone else, but the rest share a set-aside bird room where they are out of the cages from breakfast until bedtime.

My two boy tiels are great friends, though they get into the occasional spat. Never anything serious. They don't care much about interacting with the other birds. One Quaker and my budgie are buddies. One Quaker is a loner. And my pigeon thinks she's a person and doesn't like any of them.

What is going to happen if I take this little girl tiel and introduce her to this mixture? Will my two boys fight over her? Or is there a chance they'll reject her entirely or let her into their little club and all be friends?

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
it's pretty hard to predict. it might be fine, might not. if there was fighting over the girl, you could always even it out and get another girl ;)

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Three's a crowd, even in tiels. Even numbers are usually best to go by, and I've found even numbers of genders works best. I started off with four birds, but it was three boys and a girl (I had gotten Fuzzy thinking he was a she, but turned out not to be lol) and even with that combo, one male got upset when she didn't pick him and started being mean to everyone (hormones can make males act stupid lol). I got two more girls to even things out and that really seemed to help. But, you wont know until you try!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts