Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
This is true but not because of what you were told. The pearling on the lighter baby make her a female. This is because pearl can only be inherited by males if both the mother and father carry the gene. Because mom is NOT a visual pearl, it means dad is split to it and that baby is a girl. The other baby you won't know gender until he moults. Right now it's up in the air, he could be either.

·
Registered
103 Posts
It also depends if dads split pearl or an actual pearl that has lost his pearlings. if he is actually a visual rather than split then yes all pearl offspring will be hens and greys cocks.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
It also depends if dads split pearl or an actual pearl that has lost his pearlings. if he is actually a visual rather than split then yes all pearl offspring will be hens and greys cocks.
Being split or visual has no bearing on whether the baby is a boy or girl. Girls get the pearl gene ONLY from dad. This means dad has to be carrying the gene and girls can ONLY be visual pearls. Girls can not be split to pearl. Because mom is not a visual, any pearls are girls, meaning dad is split. If there were any cinnamon babies, they could be either or, because it would mean dad was split to cinnamon and was carrying that gene as well. Cinnamon is like pearl in that hens can only be visual, so to get a boy cinnamon or pearl, mom has to be visual and dad has to be either visual or split.

Any way you dice it, the pearl is a girl. The other baby is unknown for now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! I don't remember seeing any pearls on their dad, but I was maybe 12 when we got him (over 10 years ago), so I might not remember correctly.
The grey baby is very vocal, but we will see what happens.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Roxy yes I know all pearls will be hens regardless of dad being visual or split, I was referring mainly to the grey chicks gender. If he's split then any greys could be either gender, if he's a visual then all greys would be male.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Are the parents plucking the head on the grey chick? I've had them do that before and had to take separate the chick from the nest. His head looks plucked in the pictures.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts