Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was wondering how long it took your tiel to learn how to turn around on a perch? My baby needs to hold onto something with her beak to move anywhere. Turning around is not an option at this point. And so... how long do you think it will be for her to learn this helpful skill (aproximately)? She's 4 months old. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
:lol: I remember Cookie making it look like such HARD work to turn on the perch. Oddly enough i never had that issue with Bailee, but it took Cookie a few goes to not fall off the perch. It'll come with time. :)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I'm figuring. I've only had her a week and I have never seen her even try. I tried putting her on a perch where she would have to turn around... she just went as far as she could and sat there for a very long time. I finally took pity on her and turned her around. :love:

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Mine still use their beak alot. She'll get better with time but they still use their beak for alot of things.

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
She is still geting use to her cage. Spike is still a bit clumsy and will fall back wards to the floor of his cage :rolleyes: He is getting a lot better though :)

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Hollie and Minnie use there beaks all the time to get around, like Aly said its very common for tiels to use there beaks for many things ;)

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Willow didn't use his beak, but it did take time for him to turn around whilst on the perch. I'm sure your baby will be turning around in no time! :)

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Isn't that strange, that's something I've never noticed with Dooby, he doesn't seem to have a problem at all, especially if he's facing the opposite way to his food dish and you tell him there is a nut in his dish, he spins around on one foot at the speed of light to get to the nut!!

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
Took mine awhile before they could turn around, they still sometimes do need hold onto a toy when turning around.. they even don't even jump from perch to perch, they climb on the side of the cage and get to whatever perch that way.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I finally saw her attempt to fall... I mean turn around... tonight. :p She even tried it a 2nd time and again fell. It actually made me glad to see her fall because it meant she has finally decided to explore a bit more. She has been occupying the same spot on the perch since I brought her home over a week ago.

I have been bringing her out of the cage a lot and either snuggling with her or putting her on the table near my computer. She thought my mouse was a great thing to attack, reguardless of whether or not my fingers were in the way. lol And she is sooooo quiet. I've only heard her peep 3 maybe 4 times. She loves her lettuce mix and I added a veggie mix to her diet today. She looked at the veggies but wasn't taken with them yet.

I guess that's all the update I have. Have a good night everyone.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Good to hear she is exploring a little bit more :D Earl gets around fine, I have actually never noticed this as a problem, I haven't even thought about it :)

But I guess we would struggle turning around on a perch :lol: LOL!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts