Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had gotten my samples in from Roudybush and Harrison's and put some of each into 2 bowls at the top of his cage. He kind of nibbled on them at first but then he backed away like he didn't like them. I then mixed a bit of his normal seed in and stirred it around and he went back and ate, but I am sure he probably just picked around the pellets lol. I had received 2 bags from both companies (4 total) and the bigger version of each I know he won't eat. I took them out to our African Grey and added them to his dish and he seemed to eat them right away. Percy is too picky >.<

Anyways, my parents are in Evansville today shopping and I asked them to pick up some Lafeber AviCakes and a small tub of the Lafeber daily diet pellets. Percy ate the Pellet-Berries I had bought a couple months back so hopefully an Avi Cake with the Lafeber pellets will get him to eat more of them.

Converting him is tougher than I thought!

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Rocko has been eating pellets for 5 months now since I got him but now he just stopped eating them but the pellets I get him Beaphar it has instructions with it on how to convert them everyday you mix in some with their seeds and each day increase the amount of pellets and decrease the amount of seeds until hes just eating the pellets but I feed Rocko seeds and pellets so I wouldnt know how to do it if you want them to eat both and Rocko has 4 separate bowls in his cage.

·
Registered
246 Posts
If pellets are so important, I would like to know why I cannot get them from any local retailer or many wholesalers in the Uk. Most have never heard of or been asked for them. Surely I shouldn't have to order them from overseas. They also appear to be more expensive to order by post.????

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I had gotten my samples in from Roudybush and Harrison's and put some of each into 2 bowls at the top of his cage. He kind of nibbled on them at first but then he backed away like he didn't like them. I then mixed a bit of his normal seed in and stirred it around and he went back and ate, but I am sure he probably just picked around the pellets lol. I had received 2 bags from both companies (4 total) and the bigger version of each I know he won't eat. I took them out to our African Grey and added them to his dish and he seemed to eat them right away. Percy is too picky >.<

Anyways, my parents are in Evansville today shopping and I asked them to pick up some Lafeber AviCakes and a small tub of the Lafeber daily diet pellets. Percy ate the Pellet-Berries I had bought a couple months back so hopefully an Avi Cake with the Lafeber pellets will get him to eat more of them.

Converting him is tougher than I thought!
It can be tough, I agree. I mix Joey's pellets (both RoudyBush and Zupreem) in with his seeds, and he eventually learned to eat them. At first he wouldn't touch them, but I started hand feeding them as treats, and used my excited voice that I use when I want him to be excited about something. It is sort of what an adult would use with a toddler to get him/her excited about new foods. Patience and persistence, without forcing the pellets on him, can be the trick.

I do a lot of my bird supply shopping in Evansville, too. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
If pellets are so important, I would like to know why I cannot get them from any local retailer or many wholesalers in the Uk. Most have never heard of or been asked for them. Surely I shouldn't have to order them from overseas. They also appear to be more expensive to order by post.????
I don't have an answer to OP's question unfortunately, but I can help with yours! I bought my pellets for Teddie at northernparrots.com. They are UK based and their shipping is £3.99 or free if over £49. I've ordered from them twice and they are very reliable and shipping is fast, even to me and I live offshore. A lot of pet shops really don't seem to cater too well for bird owners, even if they sell birds themselves, it's a real pain sometimes but NP has so much stuff I'm sure you'll find something :)

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
I started giving Rocko seed in the morning and then take the seed out and feed pellets for the rest of the day and now Rocko eats his pellets and he usually finishes the bowl now hes eating healthy.but when I first got Rocko I didnt even try converting him off seed I just gave him the pellets and seed and he just started eating them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts