Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize it's difficult, if not impossible, to determine the age of a mature cockatiel but could the age of a juvenile be approximated? We adopted Carly from the humane society in May. Because of certain behaviors we're certain the bird is a female, but that's not the issue here.

She came with a ankle band giving her birthdate (according to research I've done and what two vets have said) as 2010, making her around two. She was smallish, weighing 81 when we got her. She came out perfectly at the vet appointment, with the doctor only remarking that she was on the small side (not underweight) and noticing that she was slightly pigeon-toed. The vet also remarked that the bird had been clipped once before.

She was fairly quiet when we got her, her only "chirp" being a squeak. We took to calling her "Squeakers" and sometimes "Dinky." As time went on she became more verbally expressive and the squeak is gone, though still on the quiet side.

Her weight, since June, has settled at 89.5 and has been higher. She is not fat. We just noticed that her feet are no longer smooth, but are becoming scaley. An avian vet told me that the number on the bracelet might mean nothing; with the economy breeders are being pressed as well and some economize by using a bracelet from years before. She no longer looks "dinky" to me either.

So, from the info above, can anyone hazard a guess as to this bird's age at the time we found her?

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
It's possible for her leg band to be right. Birds that are under stress can lose weight because of it so her weight gain (juveniles continue to fill out until they reach maturity) probably doesn't mean anything.

I'm not sure anyone can count the number of times a bird had been clipped previously, rather than saying a bird is currently clipped or unclipped..and knowing that a clipped bird has been clipped at least once (the current clip).

I'd say her leg band is accurate as I don't see that a breeder would use an old leg band to save money...i don't think leg bands aren't terribly expensive.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts