Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just this arvo Romeo, My cockatiel just over 3 months now looked like he was having trouble breathing. you know the beak wide open, stretched his neck out and tounge out

but heres another thing. was he just clearing his throat to try whistle? :blink: cause basically everytime he did that he was able to let out a sound whistle....though it was still croaky like (hes beginning to learn how to whistle)

i kept an eye on him and he hasnt done that since. just in case, do any other birds do the same as him, looks like they are clearing their throats to get their voicebox to work? -being at his age- i know that sounds silly but it seemed as if that was what he was trying to do. he is a very cheeky bird ofcourse

·
Registered
59 Posts
well...

when i visited the pet shop to check on moondust when he was too young for me to take home, he sounded like he was clearing his throught too! it might be normal considering he's so young but i'd keep an eye on him and if he starts to stop i'd say thats good but if he gets worse, then i'd take him to the vet..... hope this helps!

·
Registered
222 Posts
my birds do that when they are happy. :) perhaps offering to feed you as they would feed other birds?

·
Registered
73 Posts
When George use to do that i was worried he was going to make himself vomit so if he was on me i would put him on his pillow till he was finished
sometimes he'd do it half a dozen times or more!

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
The first time Spike did that it scared me aswell. He has even done it when I cleared my throat, copy cat :p I would just keep an eye on him but it does sound like he is just adjusting his crop :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts