Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got Powder last August, the bird store I bought him from had his wings clipped. I didn't think much of it at the time, but after we bonded, I decided that I would let his feathers grow back.
However, when he went through his first molt, he managed to break a blood feather on the tip of his wing. I took him to the vet to have it pulled and fortunately, my vet taught me how to do it. I say fortunately because this continued to happen almost every time his new feathers started coming in.
Although the feathers on his right wing grew back fine, his left side has been problematic. If he didn't break a blood feather, it grew back deformed and fell out after a while.
I thought it was all behind me a couple weeks ago because they had grown back, but then he had a night terror and knocked out his healthy new feathers. While two of them grew back fine, the two outermost feathers grew back twisted and deformed.

It's been an emotional roller coaster and I'm not sure what else to do. I've tried putting him in a smaller cage, I've avoided taking him out when I see new feathers coming in, and I've changed his diet to include more veggies and seeds. Does anyone know what else I could do?

He's a little under a year old and totally healthy in every other way. The rest of his feathers are nice and healthy, he's incredibly active, and he has a very healthy appetite.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just thought I would respond in the meantime until people who know what they are talking about reply. :)

I have only had my first cockatiel for about 8-9 months now. I got him when he was 5 months. He was clipped when I got him and when his wings grew out a little my sons girlfriend who had experience with birds clipped him again. Well she clipped all of his wings so short, so bad I was worried they wouldn't grow back at all. Also, he broke all his tail feathers, which I read was normal for young cockatiels. Anyway, his first molt he didn't lose any of his broken feathers. He had 2 wing feathers on either side that would grow and then break and one tail feather that would do the same.

He just started his second molt and all his broken and damaged feathers finally started coming out and his new feathers seem to be growing in really well. Fingers crossed!

Just wanted to share in case he/she may need a second molt to get his feathers to grow back normally. However, like I said I don't really know enough to be much help.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hello fellow Idahoan :) If he's knocked out his feathers they should grow back fairly soon. Monitor him as much as you can to keep him safe from hurting himself. Can you post some pictures as to what "twisted and deformed" is? People can get a better idea of what they're looking at if there's a visual.

If by another molt it isn't fixed, perhaps consulting with a board certified avian vet. Maybe by phone to save yourself some coin. If you're really concerned and/or you have the budget to take him to the vet, do! It never hurts for just a routine checkup and maybe answer some questions you might have.

Hope this helps :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts