Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my cockatiels managed to hatch 2 cockatiels right under my nose about 9 weeks ago. I’ve been diligent about making sure any more eggs laid don’t hatch. I boil them, mark them, then give them back to the female to incubate. She double clutched as her first two babies were weaning. Now that they’re pretty much fully weaned, she’s laid an additional 2 eggs with 1 on the way.

Ive been doing light therapy (~12 hrs a night) for the past couple of weeks. I’ve reduced the amount of soft food drastically. They get more pellets, less seeds, same amount of sprouted seeds. I’ve also changed the perches around.

What should I do next? Should I remove the nest box (no lid, but she still thinks it’s suitable for a third clutch I guess). Or should I move the cage? I won’t be able to move it far though, just across to the other side of the living room. Any help is appreciated, thank you!!

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hi, if you haven't already please check out the Sticky Library for info on hormone control and discouraging egg laying.

It sounds like your pair are very determined so you may need to try everything, and it won't work instantly, it generally takes a couple of weeks or so.

Here's the Sticky thread on hormone control here.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh they’re extremely determined. They’re really used to human intervention so not much bothers them anymore. I’m going to try moving the cage to the other side of the room to see if this stops her from laying...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes they’re mostly separated now! Supervised visits only. The main thing I’m trying to do is to get her to stop laying eggs. I don’t want her to become egg bound.

But so far, the move has been a success! No more breeding behavior from her and not a single egg since 2 days ago.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.