Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hen and cock recently had thier first clutch, then started mating and laying the second clutch before all the first chicks had finished fledging.

I moved the perches around and have been giving them longer nights etc. And planned on removing the nesting box when the babies were a couple of weeks old and put them in a small container on the floor of the cage so mum and dad can still tend to them. The babies from the first clutch have all moved out as the hen and cock were getting territorial and beating them up.

Yesterday the first chick from the second clutch hatched, but the hen laid another egg. At this mornings nest inspection there is another freshly laid egg. So a one day old chick 5 eggs from clutch #2 and 2 from clutch #3.

Help! What can I do to stop this? I'm open to separating them but not sure about it because the hen is going to have her hands full by herself and I've read that she won't feed the others while she's on eggs? My poor hen.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
She will feed the babies even while on eggs but it will be harder for her once they leave the nest. You could always separate them by letting her have the new eggs and letting the male have the babies. This way she's just sitting and he's just feeding. Although moving him might make him abandon the nest so that's something to think about too. You may want to wait until they're at least two weeks, then attempt to move dad and babies to a new cage together. Mine never had an issue with moving with the babies, we did it a couple times and the babies were well taken care of.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts