Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
No it’s not essential. Most birds don’t have clipped wings. Some breeders will clip wings for extra safety when going to a new home and some believe it helps with taming but everyone has different views. A clipped bird can still fly away or get blown away by wind. If you are going to clip your birds wings get them done evenly to reduce risk of injury. In general a bird will be happiest without them clipped and will get more exercise being able to fly around the room it’s kept in

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No it’s not essential. Most birds don’t have clipped wings. Some breeders will clip wings for extra safety when going to a new home and some believe it helps with taming but everyone has different views. A clipped bird can still fly away or get blown away by wind. If you are going to clip your birds wings get them done evenly to reduce risk of injury. In general a bird will be happiest without them clipped and will get more exercise being able to fly around the room it’s kept in
Thanks a lot, this is very helpful.

·
Registered
243 Posts
In addition to it not being necessary, it can also be harmful if not done right. I got Rocky off someone who didn't know much about birds 4 years ago now and she had clipped one of his wings herself. At the time it didn't stop him trying to fly and if he did get outside he could still have been carried by the wind. But now, 4 years later, it has never grown back full length. Thankfully he can fly a bit better now, but to be honest he doesn't try that hard and I don't encourage him to because his landings are pretty terrible.. He spent at least a year before I got him in a tiny budgie cage so I don't think he really had the chance or motivation to fly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.