Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to switch their dishes around. I put the pellet dish where their "treat" dish goes and their treat dish where their pellet dish goes. I put veggies in their treat dish. They kept going to the dish and sticking their heads in but I never saw them come up with anything. All their dishes are the same. Do you think they are afraid to bite the fruit and veggies cuz it feels like our fingers?

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I am not sure if it will works- that does with some. With them *since they're still small* I would try a soft mix or mash of steamed veggies, mostly their guaranteed favorite like corn and sweet peas, sweet potatoe...etc--until they get a taste and realize what veggies are. Mine are not really into fruit so I wouldn't try and start them on that just yet but you never know-they might go for it. Another great way that I still use to "trick" Baby and Ziggy now is to eat something while they are perching on me and pretend it's really good -I know it sounds silly but it's like the forbidden apple. They get really curious and try to get to the plate and I move it a few times then by "accident" I let them have some. They think they tricked me into getting to the food but in fact I tricked them to eat. :p I do this when I want them to have new foods or fruit which they're not crazy about unless mommy is eating it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked in the dish. It looks like some of the corn has been eaten, or attacked by a beak at the least..lol

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Corn is a real favourite, but i've heard it should be kept as an occasional food. I think too much corn can cause health issues. It's good they're tasting something though! Have you tried mixing seed through their veggies. I find that to be a good way to trick birds into eating veggies.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They don't like seeds either, other than their treat stick and millet. I have seeds mixxed in their pellets and they leave all the seeds behind.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Well maybe mix pellets through the veggies. Some grated carrot mixed with pellets is an easy way to start usually. At least they're on pellets, which offer more nutrition that seeds, until they will eat their veggies like good girls. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts