Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, of course, that treats and millet are not ideal, but my boy is rather slim (it's really his constitution) and loves them. He hardly has any fat on him, but he is healthy and the vet also said it's just his constitution.
So do you think that once a week is OK? Or even twice? Up to now I gave him treats only once every 1 to 2 weeks.

The other day I was putting a treat in his cage when he jumped on it and started devouring it. I quickly grabbed my camera and took a photo with my left hand. It is out of focus because I used my left hand, but his head is more than out of focus. It is moving at a fast speed while devouring the treat... :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. My boy will be happy to know he will get more treats and millet from now on. :) The treats in particular should not be bad at all, as they also have fruits and vegetables, so they are better than only seeds.
Sometimes I really don't know how such a small cockatiel can DEVOUR a treat in less than 20 minutes...:)

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Giving Treats once a week should be okay for your guy. And the photo - oh my! What a hungry little fid! LOL!

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
My birds get a small piece of millet every day as a proportion of their regular diet. They've always had healthy bloodwork, even my 22 year old.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I was gonna say, I normally gave mine some millet once a day with no ill effects.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you. My boy would like to express his gratitude to all who convinced his mum to give him more millet... :lol:
He always had a formidable appetite in spite of being so tiny. When he was a baby and I had just bought him I had read that some new tiels are shy and might not eat in the presence of their new owner. Not so my boy. He ate and growled if I approached him. :rofl:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I give Hercules a little millet daily and he loves it. He had a check up with an avian vet recently and his blood work is great and his weight and general health is great. I was eating some melon today and he came looking for some, he loved the melon and he usually is not a fan of wet fruits.

Sent from my InFocus M808 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Joey gets a small piece of millet daily. He really isn't all that into treats other than that, and I usually end up passing them on to mom for her tiel after he shows no interest. For the most part, he seems to think Harrisons pellets are the yummiest treats ever. I don't have the heart to tell him they are healthy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts