Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I may be moving soon, so I'll need to be taking Sawyer (and my budgies) on a plane. They'll likely need to be in the cargo area, since the area under my (and my boyfriend's) seats will be taken up by our cats (too many pets @[email protected] -- I love it).

Anyway, any advice for travelling with them? I have worries, like, it'll be too cold down there... etc. What kind of carrier I should be using for them... That kind of stuff. I suppose I'll have to talk to the airline I'm using as well, but other advice is greatly appreciated.

(Cross-posting this to Talk Budgies.)

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Well, if it were me i would put the cats in the cargo area and take the birds on the plane with you. To me birds seem more fragile and i certainly wouldn't feel comfortable putting them anywhere i couldn't keep an eye on them. Dogs and cats would be much much more common cargo on planes and they would have more experience with them down there.

As to what kind of carrier, you can get wooden travel cages, they're usually closed on all sides with air holes, you can open one side and there'll be bars under it for them to look out. I would try to contact a local bird club, or your avian vet, about where to get something like that, or even where to get something similar or just as appropriate.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Well, if it were me i would put the cats in the cargo area and take the birds on the plane with you. To me birds seem more fragile and i certainly wouldn't feel comfortable putting them anywhere i couldn't keep an eye on them. Dogs and cats would be much much more common cargo on planes and they would have more experience with them down there.

I completly agree with this. I know you love them all but the best thing is to place the cats in the cargo area instead. Some airlines allow you to purchase an extra seat also, so you may want to look into that. Either way, the cargo area is not a great place for animals, esspecially birds. My friend was a baggage handler for Miami Airport and I've heard some horror stories.

As far as the carrier, different airlines have different regulations on this but the one Bea suggested is a good choice. Just make sure it's an ok size, yet small enough so they can't get injured or trash around. Introduce the carriers prior atleast a week prior to the trip and allow them to get comfortable. It'll help alot in the longrun.

Here is a good tip sheet on travelling with birds:
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=15&cat=1794&articleid=2270

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
I would see if you can purchase another seat aswell. The cats have fur so they would be able to stay warmer than the birds. And you can put a soft blanket in with them. I would make sure it is heated cargo and they are able to breath down there and are secure so they don't move around. Also get very strong carriers for all of them. I would also call the vets and ask what they think. Oh and I would not have the cats sedated, some vets suggest that. Good luck

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My situation is changing around a little bit, and I may be taking two flights instead, so it may actually be possible to have them with me in the cabin for the first trip, and then have the cats during the second trip... which is good; I didn't really want to choose between them... and yeah, I would hate not knowing what's going on with my pets in the cargo area.

Thanks for the link, though, that is helpful. :D Will update more later on.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I guess if you do have to put one or the other in cargo you can always ask exactly what the process is and what would happen down there, how they would be handled, what the temperature is, etc. That would offer *some* peace of mind.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I guess if you do have to put one or the other in cargo you can always ask exactly what the process is and what would happen down there, how they would be handled, what the temperature is, etc. That would offer *some* peace of mind.
My friend use to work as a baggage handler at Miami International and I've heard some horror stories..It's either too hot or too cold...not mentioning they really throw stuff around and some people dont place it properly so during the flight they move all over the place...:(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts