Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One major concern I have with getting a cockatiel is the home time issue.
First is the day to day. We all leave the house from 8am til between 3-6pm. Then bed time is about 10. I am not sure how this will affect the bird's sleep schedule or how well they handle being alone most of the day.( we do plan on lots of play time before bed)
My other concern is this. Are we now prisoners? what about the weekend trips to grandma's?
The main question here: Is it OK to take the bird with us? It is a 2 hour drive one way, and we stay 1 or 2 nights. This happens once every month or 2. I have a cage that would accommodate this, But is it too stressful for a cockatiel?
What should I do?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I would go for it! I work a shift rota and Noel is never bothered by it. I took him on because the previous owners couldn't find somebody to have him. Noel likes his cage and is not at all tame (I am working on that bit though!!) so he doesn't get play time outside. my room door is shut throughout the day as the cats pee'd in my room far too many times and are now not allowed in there unless they are asleep! he does have some company from Oscar and Magic our small parrots (Hahns macaw and Senegal) who also live in my room but they don't go onto his cage or anything as he will hiss and bite their toes if they do! He is very happy still with this routine/ I am usually in bed about 930-10 most nights and during the week i am always up at 6.30am and out the house around 730-8am.
It will depend on the routine you get him/her into from that start I think. Cockatiels are very adaptable and i think that should you be too worried, maybe get him/her a companion to keep company throughout the "work" hours. But this would depend on your situation and feelings about having two rather than just one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's like taking a toddler to grandma's once you think about it. Your cockatiel may be frightened at first but from personal experience I can say they adapt pretty quick to new environments :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
My cockatiel travels very well. If you are going to be travelling lots with your bird its not a bad idea to invest in a bird cage for travel in the car.

My parents have 4 parrots, and my father took apart a hamster cage, and built himself some travel cages. that are wood on three sides, the top and bottom, and the long side of the hamster cage is the front door. Its fantastic, its covered on all sides so they do not get startled by cars passing, but the birds can still see out the front. they have perches so they are not standing in their own mess.

He built us two cages like that for our budgie and our cockatiel, and when we get to their house they have extra bird cages that they use for travelling in their 5th wheel so we dont have to bring their cages with us if we do not want to lose the space in the car, because we also bring our dog with us, and sometimes two guinea pigs. Its a full car!

I found that both birds travelled very well, and were quite happy to be in the car with us. Certainly having cages at our destination, as well as smaller cages for in the car was very helpful. The pet carriers that dont have perches are ok for an emergency vet visit, but they will end up standing in their own poop on a long car ride, and thats not much fun.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I too have the same kind of schedule. Lulu has adapted to it very well. I did wait about two months before traveling with her. yes, she was scared to be in a new place at first but then she was pretty happy. See how it works. You should be fine :)

I keep a radio on for her when I am at work. Her bedtime is between 10-1030. Usually by 10 though. Sometimes later on the weekends

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
We take our two cockatiels away for weekend trips to grandpa and grandma's all the time! They love the change of scenery, and they like the car trips. We have also taken them on a holiday for 5 days, which was about a 6 hour drive - and they were absolutely fine. I think the younger you get them used to travelling the better. We just take them in a smaller travel cage and stop for breaks along the way.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Is there anyone you know well in the area that could come over and take care of your bird when you are gone. Because you could also do that.

But your shift is just fine, just be sure to give the tiel some attention when you get home from work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts