Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Thanks so much for those who replied to my thread on if tiels could be left alone for a weekend. I now understand that that is out of the question, it leaves me with some other questions.

Normally when we travel, it is only to the cottage which is 1 hour away. Would the tiels be ok in a small cage (9.5"dx14.25"wx14"h) for an hour.

Also, I was going to take my current cage and leave it at the cottage for the few days we are there. It measures 14"dx16"wx19"h. For a weekend I thought that this might be ok; if any longer, I would have to take the cage that I have coming for adoptees (Maya and Memphis which I know most of you know).

I am trying to work with what I have got right now, until I can get something bigger for the cottage (but actually, we are not there very often except for holidays, and the odd weekend here and there.

What are your opinions? I just want to make Memphis and Maya as comfy as possible.

Also, I've attached a picture of the cage that I have coming for the two.

Thanks guys,
Duckie:)

Attachments

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
That is a nice big cage you have coming for them :) How is the bar space on it? I heard the min for one tiel is 18x18x18 but of course a travel cage can be smaller. Iam sure they will be fine in their cottage cage if they get lots of time out of it. I would be a bit worried if their tails will fit ok in there. But Iam not that good with sizes.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I am sure the travel cage would be ok for the short time they would be in it for the trip, but I am not sure of the cottage cage 14x16x19 seems a little small for two tiels, minimum for one tiel should be 18x18x18.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I agree with the others-the travel cage is fine but the other may be a bit too small. If it's only for a day or two then it's ok but not as a regular cage. Leave the door open if possible so they can exercise a bit ..etc.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is a nice big cage you have coming for them :) How is the bar space on it? I heard the min for one tiel is 18x18x18 but of course a travel cage can be smaller. Iam sure they will be fine in their cottage cage if they get lots of time out of it. I would be a bit worried if their tails will fit ok in there. But Iam not that good with sizes.
Hey Spike,
The bar spacing is 3/4" (I checked that the bar spacing should be between 5/8 to 3/4"). Its measurements are 28w x 20d x 55h. I can't wait :D

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I think you can get away with keeping them in the cottage cage just for a weekend. :) Afterall, it would only be 2-3 days and they would have all this new stuff to take in and enjoy, i doubt they would mind.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Is nathan selling/giving you the cage they are currently in? my travel cage is really small. It's like the one on the far right in the middle shelf in this link

http://www.cageworldaz.com/Travel Cages updated.gif

it may be the same size as that one. I like these for travel cages as they are small and can fit anywhere but they are not all that good for staying in for a long period of time.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I would, and have used my 18"x18"x18" cage as my travel cage, it works awesome, and would be fine for the weekend for them both. The 14x16x19 and 9.5"dx14.25"wx14"h is too small for them both sadly.

The 1st picture you have attached (white one) would work great for the weekend. It is made for budgies and smaller birds, but I like how the door is smaller, so the tiels have less of a chance to escape. However if you want them to come out you still can fit them through it. Know what I mean?
That way, you can use this white cage as the travel, and cottage cage, and it would be great :)

The last pic you posted is a great cage and I think it would work fabulously! I looked into getting one like that but didnt find any at the time when I needed.

I must say I am 'proud' that you are researching so much for them. You are asking the proper questions and are doing your homework. The birds and I say thanks :)

Kirby

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is nathan selling/giving you the cage they are currently in? my travel cage is really small. It's like the one on the far right in the middle shelf in this link

http://www.cageworldaz.com/Travel Cages updated.gif

it may be the same size as that one. I like these for travel cages as they are small and can fit anywhere but they are not all that good for staying in for a long period of time.

No, Nathan is keeping his cage, so when he is able to get back into tiels, he will have his cage...my plan is to try and breed them at some point, but especially when Nathan is ready for birds again, and will give him some babies from Memphis and Maya :D

Duckie:)

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just received an email from my brother who picked up the cage for me and here it is! I am so excited...he said the spacing is all 3/4". He is dropping it off this weekend!

Duckie :)

Attachments

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That looks pretty good to me!
I am however bad at bar spacing, but I think that is safe... can anyone help on that? I'm sure it is :)

Kirby
Hi Kirby!!!!
I have checked as many websites as i could, including the Canadian Cockatiel society, and 3/4" is the maximum it can be (anywhere between 1/2" to 3/4" is good).

I did so much research, just to be safe.

Duckie:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.