Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a two year old cockatiel named Aussie. Three days ago, was playing with a bell that was left on his cage, which unknown to me, the dinger had fallen off and was left with just metal wire hanging in the bell. He was playing with it and ended up getting the wire caught in his mouth. In the process of having the bell stuck on his head, he fell off the top of his cage with his head stuck inside the bell (about 4ft). He was screeching and flailing on the ground when my mom picked him up and proceeded to separate the wire from the bell and then removed the wire from his mouth without trouble. The trouble now is that he is not talking with people and is very lethargic (he is mainly in sleeping position with his head tucked back). He eats less than normal and when he does he does it reluctantly. We know that the wire cut his tongue which is now scabbed over. He will sit on shoulders and let himself be pet, but is very passive. Is this normal behavior for a traumatized bird or does he need a vet? Please Help!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Any injury which could be preventing him from getting enough food would be grounds for a vet visit. That could be why he's being lethargic. I'd book him in just to be on the safe side. Hope he feels better soon.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Poor Aussie! That's really a horrid thing that happened to him. I am sorry I have no advice but I just wanted to say that I hope he gets back to his old self in no time. Your mom is a very cool woman, I would have probably freaked out. What the vet said? Is his tongue ok?

edit: sorry I managed to misread the last line and thought he went to see the vet already.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ohh that happened to my greencheek.She got the wire ring of a toy stuck on her beak and was stuck to the cage flapping around.Luckily I was home or I cant imagine what would have happened..She didnt get hurt though.She was so good and let me get it off, she is such a trusting bird.
I bet his mouth is sore, especially if it cut his tongue.But it could have done some damage inside the roof of his beak or he may have hurt himself in the struggle.
Anyway I hope he gets well soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the support, he is acting alot better this morning, but we are taking him into the vet this afternoon just in case.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts