Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cosmo is a very treat motivated fella. He has already picked up on a few tricks quickly. My question is he loves peanuts and millet, he goes crazy for them and will do anything to get a bite of these tasty treats. His reward is a little nibble of millet or a bite of a half of a peanut (a big bite when he gets greedy)

Which one of these should I mainly use for his training? I know both can make him fat that's why he only gets a bite as a reward.

He isn't interested in real food at all. I will offer him a bite of something if he does try it he shakes his head in shock of a different taste and avoids it :(

Also what are some other tricks I can teach him? He knows "pretty bird" where he spreads his wings, he waves on command, and he does kissey sounds when I say "give me a kiss" I try to get him to talk on command but I'm having some trouble with it. Whatever I teach him he picks up on right away and remembers.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Commenting to bump my post back to the top. No one has commented so maybe it got lost in the other post and no one saw it. I'm still curious about this :)

·
Registered
786 Posts
I have heard of people using a bite of millet as a good reward. Although a bite of peanut shouldn't hurt either. I know in the nutriberries my Milo gets there are little pieces of peanuts and he gets one every night. You could switch off using one now and the other at another time. That way he gets both :)

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Sunflower seeds are good training treats, too. I generally use these or millet.

Have you tried teaching him recall? Flying to you on command can be a valuable skill. I'm slowly working on teaching it to Coco but he's a slow learner. :p

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for responding :) I haven't thought about sunflower seeds, he really likes those too. He is going through a heavy molt so his wings are starting to finally grow out. I sometimes try to get him to fly to his play top when I take him to his cage, but he is a little chicken and waits till he is about 2-4 inches away and hops onto it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts