Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I finally have a drill. :D

I was wanting some more toy ideas. I looked through the toy thread, and had some other questions. so- Loofahs? those are fine? like a regular bath loofah?

What about rawhides? I think I see those in the stores, but not sure if it's actually rawhide. I know the gerbs can chew them, so was thinking of getting a package of the little square ones, and drilling them onto sticks....

Most of the toys are colored... should I try and die them? Does multi colors really make a difference? I know my cats and gerbils play with anything, and don't favor colors over others.

Tooth brushes? I've seen a toy with a toothbrush, then a small rope through it, and then a few beads on the ropes. Anybody try a toy like this?

And hay- they LOVE hay. I poke it into a whiffle ball, but they destroy it faster than I make it.... :p So any ideas on what to do with the hay? It's not long enough to braid. I tried.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Ok...
Loofah's are fine as long as it's NATURAL and unbleached. Most of the loofah sold for bathing purposes are not safe. You can always order it-here is a link http://www.birdyboredombusters.com/shreddables.html

Rawhides are fine as long as they aren't flavored like dog treats or bleached. Alot of them are bleached. My budgies have some they love to chew on in one of their toys.

Coloring is only for a visual effect although you do have some that have fruit flavors. Be sure to use a safe color and that it doesn't easily come off.

Tooth brushes, well, it depends on what type of plastic it is. I would not use them just to be
safe.

Hay is fine as long as it's in a toy and not confused for nesting material. The idea you have is nice-If it's not long enough to braid you can try tying it together to make a longer piece or multiple knots and making it a design with lots of sizes.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The idea you have is nice-If it's not long enough to braid you can try tying it together to make a longer piece or multiple knots and making it a design with lots of sizes.
HA! Well, it's course, so it doesn't really tie. :( It's alfalfa and barley hay. They love playing with it though. I've taken some strands and ziptied them together against the cage. They all try to grab it. I also have a rabbit dish that has the hay "crumbs" in it, and their pellet foot, they like to scratch in it and dig for the food. (they also have 4 feed dishes, so its not like they *have* to search for food- they choose to)

I was thinking the hard plastic ones- like from the $1 store. not the ones with comfort grip, because I figure they'll pull the grips off. There are a LOT of people with birds, and bulk stuff is cheap, so I was thinking I could offer a few for sale, like really cheap, maybe $2 or $3 a piece. They're expensive at the store! And I can donate some to the bird rescue.

Also, what about Birch? We've got birch trees in the area, and they are trimming them this time of year, so I was wanting to grab some for perches.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts