Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been reading that some toy and other object can be very dangerous for a cockatiel too. Like toilet paper, some woods, some plastics, different types of metals, etc. I was wondering if anyone had any safe ideas for some homemade toys I could safely make and some specific things to avoid at the same time. I really want to make sure that I do the best that I possibly can for my bird before it comes home in about a month or two. (It's name is Clock and it's currently being hand feed at a local family owned pet store right now.)
(Don't know the gender yet too young to tell atm.)

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
wood.... untreated is a must. bamboo, willow, pine, aspen are safe

oak and cherry are toxic. see a list for all safe and unsafe woods and dont use stuff with pesticides.

metal only safe on is stainless steel.

undyed paper or paper with soy based ink is safe

plastic thats easy to break or too small can be eaten

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Toilet paper can impact the crop, however the cardboard rolls are safe for birds to play with. My birds love cardboard boxes. That's pretty much all they will play with. Cow or goat bells are a hit too, the clappers are tight enough for birds not to be able to release them. Just hang them from a chain.

·
Registered
10,886 Posts
Craft sticks (aka popsicle sticks) are great for making tiel toys. Birds enjoy turning them into toothpicks. They're made for children to use so they're nontoxic.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oooh ty everyone for the good ideas
I was just unsure what was safe for my bird
but this helps a lot ty

1 - 5 of 5 Posts