Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fell in love with how playful GCC's are and how interactive they are and would LOVE to have a GCC but I'm just too scared the GCC might seriously injure my tiel one day and I couldn't live with myself if that ever happened.

I took my tiel to get his nails trimmed today and this girl had the cutest little parrotlet and I held it in my hands for the longest time and he was so cuddly! I didn't realize how incredibly TINY parrotlets are... I mean, they are freakin TINY! It appears they are similar to GCCs in regards to playfulness?.... but aren't bullies like GCCs are prone to be?

I told them my dilemma and they said I should totally get a parrotlet as it would be safer than getting a GCC for my tiel..... so now I'm thinking maybe I'll get a parrotlet instead of a GCC? :)

I've always only had tiels and never a parrot before... so I would LOVE to have a parrot to experience what they are like.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
If I were in your shoes, I would get neither. From what I have heard, parrotlets are big parrots in small bodies. They can be aggressive and jealous.
I think it's best to stick with one species. If you feel Rascal is a bit lonely, maybe get another cockatiel. I have two and they are both tame and bonded to me as well as each other.
I mean, why disturb the harmony by getting different species. You may end up constantly figuring out whose turn it is to be out of the cage because they may not tolerate each other.

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
Actually, I would consider a parrotlet MORE dangerous than a GCC. P'lets are pretty aggressive towards other birds. Greencheeks are just a bit more rough and tumble than aggressive, but both could do about the same amount damage.

I know you keep asking, and people do keep saying that it can be dangerous, and yes, that is true, but above all, it's all a matter of managing. Plenty of people have mixed species households and manage it just fine, so don't let that stop you from trying a different species. I love having different kinds of birds. Adds a lot of variety to your flock. You've been talking about getting a new bird for a while now, so it sounds like you're eager to try it out. I say go for it. :) Just be careful, observant and smart and I think you'll enjoy it

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm starting to feel hopeless. I'm never going to be able to make up my mind. I honestly would LOVE to have a GCC as I have never experienced one before and they seem like such awesome birds.... but at same time I'm too worried to get one. I know I keep going around in circles.

I definitely would NOT have to always keep one caged while the other is out though.... that would be nightmare... so my only hope would be that the GCC doesn't try to go after my tiel to bite/hurt him. The GCC I would get is just weaned (a baby one). Arrrghhh! I just cannot make a decision... but I've scratched getting a parrotlet off the list. So one step forward, two steps back to square one... story of my life! :(

I think maybe I should I try a baby GCC... worst case I would have to re-home the GCC but of course, ONLY to a very very good home which I would REALLY investigate and make sure the GCC gets a very loving and experienced home very familiar with GCCs... This would be worst case scenario. If I don't at least try... I am going to drive myself CRAZY with "what if"???

... but I won't be surprised if I just get another tiel... it would make things a LOT easier. OMG. I give up.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Oh god girl, your going grey! Stop worrying... Neither a parrotlet or a tiel is a compatible friend for your tiel, my parrotlet bit a budgie who landed on his cage and broke her toe... :( she was lucky as he could of bit it right off... My parrotlet will not tolerate any of my other birds except one budgie hen... His lovely bonded lady budgie...lol my green cheek is pretty docile, she looks to me to chase off the tiels or budgies if they are bugging her but she would not tolerate them near her if I was not around... If you want a greenie then get one.. Just rotate out of cage times or supervise very well.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Geez, and that parrotlet looked so super tiny and INNOCENT! Cutest bird I ever saw. I should have known better to judge book by its cover and it's annoying that those woman at the bird shop who have been breeding and dealing with birds for over 30 yrs recommended I get one rather than a GCC if I'm worried about my tiel! :blink: You guys definitely helped me realize the contrary, so parrotlets are off the list.

ParrotletsRock,
You wrote: "Neither a parrotlet or a tiel is a compatible friend for your tiel". Was that a typo as you said a tiel it not comptable with a tiel?

How likely is it that I would have to keep my tiel in a cage while the GCC is out? As I would NEVER want to have to do that. If it's 90% chance of this happening then that is bad... but if more than likely they will just ignore each other and can be out of cage at same time then that would work... GCC would also be raised with my tiel. I know some say it doesn't make a difference but I still think it's better than an adult GCC.

Is it COMMON that a GCC can hang out on top of the same cage with a tiel? Not enclosed in the cage of course... but just hanging out on top of the cage walking around near each other?

I'm off to the nuthouse now.... aka the gym... same difference :p I'm at gym for almost 3 hours and my tiel is so depressed when I'm gone =(

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Geez, and that parrotlet looked so super tiny and INNOCENT! Cutest bird I ever saw. I should have known better to judge book by its cover and it's annoying that those woman at the bird shop who have been breeding and dealing with birds for over 30 yrs recommended I get one rather than a GCC if I'm worried about my tiel! :blink: You guys definitely helped me realize the contrary, so parrotlets are off the list.

ParrotletsRock,
You wrote: "Neither a parrotlet or a tiel is a compatible friend for your tiel". Was that a typo as you said a tiel it not comptable with a tiel?

How likely is it that I would have to keep my tiel in a cage while the GCC is out? As I would NEVER want to have to do that. If it's 90% chance of this happening then that is bad... but if more than likely they will just ignore each other and can be out of cage at same time then that would work... GCC would also be raised with my tiel. I know some say it doesn't make a difference but I still think it's better than an adult GCC.

Is it COMMON that a GCC can hang out on top of the same cage with a tiel? Not enclosed in the cage of course... but just hanging out on top of the cage walking around near each other?

I'm off to the nuthouse now.... aka the gym... same difference :p I'm at gym for almost 3 hours and my tiel is so depressed when I'm gone =(
Yes it is a typo... I meant neither parrotlet or green cheek is compatible. I can have my green cheek out when my tiels are out but my greenie stays on my shoulder and 'helps' me with what I am doing.. My tiels fly around and destroy things...lol if a tiel lands on me there can be a bit of bickering however I am quick to step up my greenie out of the situation and she knows it so instead of fighting the tiels ( who try to bully her ) she looks to me to protect her.. She is quite the mellow soul most of the time. It could work, however no one can give you the percentage of reassurance you are looking for, however if your tiel is easy going and the greenie is a mellow baby it could just work. You would just have to be very alert to any signs of aggression.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think if you keep an eye on them, and make sure if they bicker they both go in "time out" for a few minutes, you can kind of condition to, if not be friends, to atleast put up with eachother

Ive got a lovebird, a budgie, and a cockatiel and after a while of supervised togetherness I've trained them to the point I dont worry about leaving them all together out of their cages unsupervised if I leave the room to do something for a few minutes
Now, obviously a GCC is not a lovebird, but to me a lovebird is a pretty"bitey/aggressive" type of bird

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Would a love bird to slightly "safer" around a tiel than a GCC? I know all birds are unqiue and have different personalities etc... so that's probably a stupid question. I've NEVER owned a parrot before and dying to see what it would be like. I think GCCs are such cool little birds in different ways than a tiel... tiels are super awesome in a different way but GCCs they are more playful it seems.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think you should get whatever bird you want, and just try to get them to cohabitate, worst case scenario you just have to keep them apart from eachother, not even necessarily locking one up while the other is out
As for if its safer? i dont know, lovebirds have big strong bird lips, they could do some damage

but I think a big part of it though, is that if my lovebird and cockatiel bickered, i put them BOTH in their cages, neither of them want that, so the lovebird isnt so ready to chase after krieger anymore, and krieger now just generally steers clear of her, and they now just sort of live ant let live

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you think if I had another tiel around that it would perk my tiel up? He ALWAYS does nothing but sleep and is super BORED... never plays with his toys and he has tons of them! I'm wondering if another tiel near him would wake him up?

I would probably end up with TWO bored tiels sleeping all day. That would defeat the purpose! I'm hoping having an active GCC around might wake up my tiel... I feel sorry for him.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Juliet. Just think about what it would be like if you are busy with work or away from home Based on the very little knowledge Ive got ,mostly coming from the moderators here as well as when Suzanne used to be here as well, I would go with Eduardo s advice with whom I strongly agree. The hubby used to keep and breed different species in th UK before we met and he says exactly the same as Eduardo. I know how much you love Rascal and how precious he is to you so, please dont risk it How about another tiel? Just a suggestion All the best X x Teresa

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Juliet. Just think about what it would be like if you are busy with work or away from home Based on the very little knowledge Ive got ,mostly coming from the moderators here as well as when Suzanne used to be here as well, I would go with Eduardo s advice with whom I strongly agree. The hubby used to keep and breed different species in th UK before we met and he says exactly the same as Eduardo. I know how much you love Rascal and how precious he is to you so, please dont risk it How about another tiel? Just a suggestion All the best X x Teresa
Thanks for the advice... deep down I know I just don't feel comfortable getting a GCC right now which is why I've been so indecisive about it for many months. I'm also not very familiar with GCCs but from what I've heard and seen they are such amazing birds and so playful... so different from tiels and I would LOVE to have a GCC as they really seem like awesome birds. I know one day I will get a GCC but 2 tiels would definitely fit my life best right now.... it would be so much easier with 2 tiels rather than a GCC and tiel. It would be best for Rascal's safety too... and I suspect I would be doing nothing all day other than playing with the GCC when I really need to be focused on business right now.... I don't travel often thankfully, so I work from home all the time asides from when I have to leave town for a conference for 3 or 4 days. I also would no longer feel so guilty every time I have to leave my tiel home alone... he HATES it... at least he would have another tiel to fight and bicker with and stay occupied ;)

.... but he had BETTER appreciate me getting a second tiel! :mad: He seems to like being around other birds though. Famous last words, right? omg.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Ok, so the reason I was suggesting another cockatiel is that I tried to keep a budgie with my cockatiels and it didn't work out. We ended up returning the poor fellow after only a few days. He was very playful and cute, and full of life, but he annoyed my cockatiels with his antics (no, I did not quarantine :blush:) Anyway, the budgie sooo wanted to be with the tiels, and the tiels were so spooked by him - it was total chaos.
I have my cockatiels out of the cage, free, all day long, and I did not want to keep them locked in the cage because of another bird. I don't do "alternating" pets and keeping one inside and one outside. So, we returned the budgie and now I have two happy, calm cockatiels.
Yes, I would love to have something that is a bit more crazy and playful, but in all honesty, I only have that much time on my hands. I can give them my attention at the same time not worrying whether one will pluck the other or stuff like that. And I don't know if Rascal is lonely and that may be the reason why he is not doing much, but my Tony is a busy fellow. He is always investigating and doing stuff with us. Candy, she is more quiet and prefers to be a perch potato, lol.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Ok, so the reason I was suggesting another cockatiel is that I tried to keep a budgie with my cockatiels and it didn't work out. We ended up returning the poor fellow after only a few days. He was very playful and cute, and full of life, but he annoyed my cockatiels with his antics (no, I did not quarantine :blush:) Anyway, the budgie sooo wanted to be with the tiels, and the tiels were so spooked by him - it was total chaos.
I have my cockatiels out of the cage, free, all day long, and I did not want to keep them locked in the cage because of another bird. I don't do "alternating" pets and keeping one inside and one outside. So, we returned the budgie and now I have two happy, calm cockatiels.
Yes, I would love to have something that is a bit more crazy and playful, but in all honesty, I only have that much time on my hands. I can give them my attention at the same time not worrying whether one will pluck the other or stuff like that. And I don't know if Rascal is lonely and that may be the reason why he is not doing much, but my Tony is a busy fellow. He is always investigating and doing stuff with us. Candy, she is more quiet and prefers to be a perch potato, lol.
I don't think my tiel is lonely... because I literally spend the entire day with him asides from me going to the gym in the morning to do bodybuilding for at least 2-3 hrs and then I go home and work all day on the computer. I'm not exaggerating when I say my tiel is literally on me ALL THE TIME. He is ONLY ever on his cage for a few min tops to eat and then he flys right back onto me. Otherwise he is sitting on my thigh doing nothing but SLEEPING all day long. He does NOT eat at all when I'm not at home and when he hears my car pulling into garage he starts "barking like a dog" flock calling because he knows I'm back.

I think maybe having around bird around will make him more lively... I think he is seriously bored... I am bummed out I was so excited to get a baby GCC just to try it and see how it would go I could always re-home the GCC... but it looks like that is bad idea unfortunately. :( For some bizarre reason if I had 2 tiels I would feel more comfortable getting a GCC but I cannot handle 3 birds way too many and I know what I just said makes no sense, just thinking out loud =) I could always get a GCC one day when I'm retired or have more time to play.

·
Registered
507 Posts
. I'm also not very familiar with GCCs but from what I've heard and seen they are such amazing birds and so playful... so different from tiels and I would LOVE to have a GCC as they really seem like awesome birds.
Yes, they are cute and playful and clownish, but they are also VERY headstrong, bossy, and think they are the size of a macaw. They are prone to biting, especially at adult age (2+). No bird is perfect, green cheeks included. From that description it's easy to see how they'd bully a tiel, especially one as close to you as Rascal. They get pretty ugly when they're jealous.

And even little birds can do some serious damage to tiels. The pet store I got Phoenix from used to keep budgies and tiels together - the budgies would constantly pull the cockatiels's tail feathers out. They all had NO tails.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
At the end of the day, it is your choice. If you feel you can deal with the trial and the potential "error", meaning getting a GCC and then trying to rehome it and all, then go for it. There is no way to tell until you try, you just have to be ready for plan B if things don't work out.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
It's so confusing because many people own GCCs and a tiel and the GCC is just fine towards the tiel.... meaning they basically ignore each other. I guess it's a crapshoot. That's why I was wondering if it would be stupid to at least try to get a baby GCC and if I see it's not going to work I re-home the GCC to a VERY good home. Maybe I can try to do this couple years down the line... right now I'm too scared to get the GCC and I don't have all day to play with birds, well I do...but I mostly need to focus on earning money and I have a feeling GCCs are a LOT more hands-on than a tiel?

I'm used to dead birds... meaning my tiel sleeps all day it's like I don't even have a bird... just some feathers stuck on my thigh which sometimes poops on me. J/K :D

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Juliet, all that playfulness and craziness that you are longing for right now, it would get old after a while. You would end up with a needy, screaming GCC. LOL
Just relax and sleep on it. Once you make your decision, don't look back :)

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
What is it about another 'tiel that doesn't fill your needs? If what you want is a bird that is cuddly, outgoing, and interactive, you can find that in a 'tiel. Maybe consider adopting an adult 'tiel with an established personality so you know what you're getting.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts