Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our bird LOVES scrambled eggs..she could seriously eat them every day. Is this a food I should limit? She lost some weight when we first got her, so I'm not worried about her gaining weight at the moment. Maybe when she gains all her weight back. But until then, is there anything wrong with a daily portion of eggs? She eats plenty of pellets each day, so this would just be extra.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Egg everyday is bad and plus the pellets too much protein and too much protein can cause a lot of problems such as liver disease.

J

·
0 Posts
Eggs have a TREMENDOUS amount of cholesteral in them not to mention EXTREMELY acidic!! I would not feed my tiel ANY eggs, period and certainly not every day... that is CRAZY. It is not only unhealthy but absolutely unnecessary. There are TONS of other things you could be feeding your tiel instead. Your tiel does NOT need "extra" protein from any eggs or any disease causing animal products for that matter. I would stick to seeds, fruits and greens...oil free/sodium free popcorn cakes etc.(meat/dairy industry has done a fantastic job into brain washing people into being "protein obsessed").

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
It's not "crazy" to feed your 'tiel scrambled eggs. It's a nutritious food to feed parents with chicks, but for a 'tiel with a normal protein requirement I would only feed it once in a while, as a treat.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
It's not "crazy" to feed your 'tiel scrambled eggs. It's a nutritious food to feed parents with chicks, but for a 'tiel with a normal protein requirement I would only feed it once in a while, as a treat.
It can also be good to feed on a more regular basis during a molt, since the metabolic process of growing new feathers requires quite a bit of energy and protein!

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Thanks for the tip! My 'tiels are molting at the moment (we're in spring). I've been giving them Vetafarm egg and biscuit food to help with their molt, but they haven't taken to actual eggs.

J

·
0 Posts
I would have to very strongly disagree. Tiels are NOT carnivores (they will eat occasional insects, but they are not meant to be consuming animal flesh loaded full of artery clogging cholesteral - harmful animal saturated fats and animal protein!!). I myself am very strict "whole foods plant based" vegan for my HEALTH. As many humans think cow milk (dairy) is "healthy".... dairy is full of PUS, harmful bacteria, extremely acidic, loaded full of cancer triggering CASEIN the list is endless. I will remove myself from this thread there is no point in debating further. It is downright irresponsible to feed a tiel chicken eggs let alone on daily basis! There is TONS of protein in bird feed, no need to feed them animal protein. Eggs are LOADED with very harmful (extremely high) levels of cholesteral, especially for such a tiny bird. There are far HEALTHIER ways to get nutrition and protein.... without the HARMFUL effects of eggs. Humans are the only species foolish enough to drink the infected fluids from another species. Watch "Cowspiracy" documentary and see what exactly it is you are supporting.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Obviously they are not carnivores, and I don't see how feeding egg would make them a carnivore anyway. They are omnivores in the wild, and eggs are not as evil as you are making them out to be. It's actually not uncommon for birds to eat eggs -- my dad works for Fish & Game NZ and he recently received a call from a woman who is having trouble with some pukeko (purple swamp hen) stealing and eating eggs from her chicken coop! :eek:

I get that you are a strong-minded vegan and I respect the vegan way of life; I often have lunch at The Loving Hut in my city, which is a vegan restaurant, and the people there are lovely and always friendly, but forcing your opinion onto everyone else and making out that you are above anyone that consumes dairy/meat/eggs is downright rude and off-putting, and that is why some people struggle with taking vegans seriously because many of them can be harsh, negative and judgmental, and that is not the way to go about spreading your message.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
As stated every day is not a good idea, but occasionally as a treat won't be harmful. Tiels have actually been known to eat their own eggs, so there is that as well. Moderation and variety is always key to a healthy diet.

J

·
0 Posts
Obviously they are not carnivores, and I don't see how feeding egg would make them a carnivore anyway. They are omnivores in the wild, and eggs are not as evil as you are making them out to be. It's actually not uncommon for birds to eat eggs -- my dad works for Fish & Game NZ and he recently received a call from a woman who is having trouble with some pukeko (purple swamp hen) stealing and eating eggs from her chicken coop! :eek:

I get that you are a strong-minded vegan and I respect the vegan way of life; I often have lunch at The Loving Hut in my city, which is a vegan restaurant, and the people there are lovely and always friendly, but forcing your opinion onto everyone else and making out that you are above anyone that consumes dairy/meat/eggs is downright rude and off-putting, and that is why some people struggle with taking vegans seriously because many of them can be harsh, negative and judgmental, and that is not the way to go about spreading your message.

I am speechless. Cockatiels are most certainly NOT omnivores. They are classic herbivores... and again, just because certain bird ate eggs does NOT mean it is HEALTHY. Many dogs eat their own vomit and/or feces, what is your point. Please re-read what I wrote in regards to what truly is contained in eggs. Then please research Dr. caldwell esselstyn, Dr colin campbell, Dr john mccoudgall, Dr dean ornish, Dr. joel fuhrman, Dr michael gregor etc... followed by reading "The China Study" and watching documentaries such as "Cowspiracy" , "Earthlings", "Forks over knives" and EDUCATE yourself on who and what is so heavily influencing the USDA dietary guidelines (spreading the ignorance) at the expense of human HEALTH, destroying the planet, slaughtering billions of animals etc and why eggs ARE indeed harmful and NOT a health food for birds, nor humans.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Scrambled egg is fried isnt it? I may be wrong lol I get mixed up with eggs sometimes lol.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Scrambled egg is fried isnt it? I may be wrong lol I get mixed up with eggs sometimes lol.
It's made in a frying pan, but I've also made scrambled eggs in a microwave. It's not fried in the sense that mozzarella sticks are fried.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
I would have to very strongly disagree. Tiels are NOT carnivores (they will eat occasional insects, but they are not meant to be consuming animal flesh loaded full of artery clogging cholesteral - harmful animal saturated fats and animal protein!!). I myself am very strict "whole foods plant based" vegan for my HEALTH. As many humans think cow milk (dairy) is "healthy".... dairy is full of PUS, harmful bacteria, extremely acidic, loaded full of cancer triggering CASEIN the list is endless. I will remove myself from this thread there is no point in debating further. It is downright irresponsible to feed a tiel chicken eggs let alone on daily basis! There is TONS of protein in bird feed, no need to feed them animal protein. Eggs are LOADED with very harmful (extremely high) levels of cholesteral, especially for such a tiny bird. There are far HEALTHIER ways to get nutrition and protein.... without the HARMFUL effects of eggs. Humans are the only species foolish enough to drink the infected fluids from another species. Watch "Cowspiracy" documentary and see what exactly it is you are supporting.
True people also think milk gives you calcium it really dosent.People believe a lot of things that arent true.Like you dont know what Mcdonalds meat really is and its certainly not real meat I eat it myself but I would rather eat real food.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
It's made in a frying pan, but I've also made scrambled eggs in a microwave. It's not fried in the sense that mozzarella sticks are fried.
Ive always known to only feed boiled egg and I dont always feed egg havent fed egg to my birds in a while now they have natural sources of calcium available to them all the time.Birds cant have anything fried its bad for them.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I am speechless. Cockatiels are most certainly NOT omnivores. They are classic herbivores... and again, just because certain bird ate eggs does NOT mean it is HEALTHY. Many dogs eat their own vomit and/or feces, what is your point. Please re-read what I wrote in regards to what truly is contained in eggs. Then please research Dr. caldwell esselstyn, Dr colin campbell, Dr john mccoudgall, Dr dean ornish, Dr. joel fuhrman, Dr michael gregor etc... followed by reading "The China Study" and watching documentaries such as "Cowspiracy" , "Earthlings", "Forks over knives" and EDUCATE yourself on who and what is so heavily influencing the USDA dietary guidelines (spreading the ignorance) at the expense of human HEALTH, destroying the planet, slaughtering billions of animals etc and why eggs ARE indeed harmful and NOT a health food for birds, nor humans.
By omnivore I meant that cockatiels are known to eat insects in the wild. To me that is classed as an omnivore.

I'm not an idiot, I've done my research, I've been a vegetarian for a few years and was into veganism for some of that time. Now I eat small amounts of free range meat and eggs and drink organic soy and almond milk. If you didn't speak to others as if they are stupid then perhaps you would get better feedback. Also, there are multiple sides to every story, and not everything you read and hear is the truth. Just some food for thought. I've learned to respect everyone's opinions and life choices, and it's made me a much happier person. Not that this has any relevance to cockatiels at all now...

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Yes exactly not everything you hear or read is true same way most of you think it is lol.You cant say that to other people when you all do it yourself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow! What an adventurous list of responses! Thank you ALL for your input. The range of responses helps me feel pretty confident that it's not a good idea. She eats pellets just fine and her diet isn't lacking. I wasn't trying to give her more protein, just trying to not overload her with too much inadvertently. Which it sounds like a daily snack would be doing--and then some! (I forgot about the cholesterol part)

And yes, scrambled eggs are fried in butter or oil, and since we avoid nonstick pans for her sake, we really do have to use something to keep the eggs from sticking (Which was another concern of mine). So thanks everyone for the great advice! I'm glad I asked! You guys are awesome!

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I'm not interested in a debate either, but there are a lot of studies that contradict this and support both eggs and dairy as part of a healthy human diet as well. Your choices are your choices, and I won't argue that, but representing the consumption or feeding of eggs as "irresponsible" is really both inaccurate and unecessarily judgmental.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.