Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I was told that by feeding Spooky mostly seed+pellet and Nutriberries and Pelletberries, he was getting too much protein. Is this true? I'm confused since most places, I hear people advocating mash supplements to a normal seed + pellet diet, and most of the mash recipes have food high in protein (beans, egg, quinoa, couscous...) and that's one of the reason they're encouraged as supplements!

Is too much protein a problem for cockatiels? Can he be getting too much from seeds and pellets alone?

I am working on introducing more veg and mash to Spooky's diet, but this protein thing has left me confused.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:huh:

So can anyone who knows about cockatiel nutrition weigh in about protein? Appreciated!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I'm not sure if that would be too much protein or not, but you do want to avoid excess protein if possible. Too much of it can give them kidney problems.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
As long as your 'tiel isn't on an all-pellet diet, I wouldn't believe that a diet full of variety would have too much protein. There's protein in a lot of different foods, but generally seeds, grains, fruits and veggies are pretty low in protein so I wouldn't worry. 'Tiels also tend to eat what they need nutrition-wise, so I don't think they would eat a lot of a high-protein food anyway. That's just from my point of view and observations though; I'm no expert. :)

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I try to feed a wide variety of different things, fresh foods, cooked foods, seeds and pellets, I think the best way to try and cover all the needs is variety of good wholesome foods... One food will cover the lack in another... To much protein can harm the kidneys however I don't exactly know what too much is.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. I know it can cause kidney issues, but I thought it was weird that what I'm feeding him now would be considered "too much"... to the point the person who told me this was blaming aggression issues on too much protein. o_0

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
As everyone said too much protein can cause a lot of damage over time. But it would have to be a significant amount over a long period of time I think. o,o

"Too much protein can also be detrimental to health, and anecdotal information has now been gathered which suggests that some species will develop gout when fed diets too high in protein. Whenf a parrot consumes too much protein, the excess amino acids are used for the creation of energy. The end product of this process is uric acid, which must then be excreted by the kidneys. In extreme cases, this leads to kidney damage."

But it is also important a parrot get enough complete proteins in their diet:

"If a parrot does not consume enough high quality, or "complete," protein foods it will not have good health. Amino acid deficiencies result in increased susceptibility to bacterial and other infections, feather picking, poor feather quality overall, poor growth and decreased fertility in breeding birds. Parrots also need more protein during periods of growth, when molting and when breeding."

The recommended amount of protein is pretty tiny:
"In determining how much animal protein should be fed, we can look at what we know about the protein requirements previously published. It is often recommended that parrots consume between 10% and 16% protein daily. Breeding birds and young, growing birds need additional amounts. According to Dr. Murphy, feeding a teaspoon of complete protein daily would satisfy the maintenance requirements for a medium-sized parrot."

http://www.holisticbirds.com/pages/feeding0202.htm

I don't think you're feeding him that much protein that you should be worried really. I think feeding a lot of protein over time, over the recommended daily amount would probably be the point where it is too much protein. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts