Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question; what is a normal weight for a female cockatiel? Yoko weighs 74 grams, which I'm pretty sure is light for a 'tiel. :) Thanks!

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
It all depends on the bird's build, and there is no general "your bird must be this weight to be healthy." In the wild, the birds typically weight between 70 and 80g, it's only in captivity that we have started breeding for the bigger birds. And even now, a lot of breeders are moving away from the big birds because it's not normal for a cockatiel to be that large. As long as she's eating good you should be fine. Have you ever heard of a keelbone check?

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
As long as her keelbone isn't sharp to the touch, her weight should be fine. My Coco is the smallest of my 'tiels and he weighs 75g, but his keel isn't sharp. :)

·
Registered
648 Posts
They vary so much so it's hard to say. One of mine is in the high 90s usually and the other is in the mid 80s... I've heard of ones that are low 70s though and completely healthy!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay! Sounds good! Yoko's keelbone is not protruding, nor is covered in fat, so I think she's healthy! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts