Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bennie has a toy hanging in his cage that has been there a long time. He loves to knock it around and play with the little bell in the bottom. It's an open bell, not the "jingle bell" type. This morning he was in his cage and I noticed he was playing with the bell more aggressively than usual. I wondered what he was doing so I went over and saw his one nail was caught in the top of the bell! He was really struggling to pull his foot away. I waited just a second or two to see if he could pull it out on his own, then thought I'd better help him so he didn't get hurt. I reached in and got hold of his foot and gently worked his claw out. Usually if I would try to grab his foot like that, he'd bite me. But it seemed like he realized I was trying to help and let me work his toe out of the bell top. Thankfully, his foot is fine. But I took the toy out, got a wire cutter and snipped the wire holding the bell. So he still has his toy, but the bell is gone.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Good idea to axe the bell - had you not been around to free his foot, there could have been a terrible outcome for him. Glad he's ok. :)

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Oh man, that's scary. I'm going to have to inspect all of my bells now to make sure they're safe.. Soo lucky for Bennie that you were there to rescue him!

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Oh my word! That would have frightened me silly! Glad everyone is okay in the end!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts