Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everybody do with their Cockatiels wings? Our male can fly around the house really good, our other one can fly to a certain point but has a habit of landing behind furniture. I believe in them getting exercise unlike the budgies that just sit in their cages.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don’t clip any of my birds’ wings. They are healthier and happier when allowed to fly, and birds are designed to fly after all. So why not let them be birds? Unless there is a legitimate safety concern (as in open doors/windows, people coming and going, etc), I would always try to avoid clipping their wings. Flying is the only real source of exercise for birds and it improves their overall well-being. As for your one cockatiel that lands behind furniture, he/she will probably get better as they learn to navigate the house. It takes time for them to learn how to use their wings, especially if they were previously kept clipped or not allowed to fledge as a baby.

Also, there’s no reason why your budgies shouldn’t be let out of their cage. I have two budgies and they come out to fly just like my cockatiel and conure. I don’t have as strong a bond with them but that doesn’t mean that they shouldn’t be able to have some freedom to explore. If they’re really that terrified I guess there’s no point of letting them out if they’re just going to be freaking out the whole time. But if they’re even semi-tame as in not terrified of your presence, I think you can still let them out. You can keep the cage door open so they can come and go as they please.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have four tiels and three budgies and none of them clipped and all of them free 24/7 in their own room. I make box sculptures that I change every few weeks and a fountain for them that I change every day. They are happy and healthy with all of the socializing and exercise they get flying around. My vet says they're some of the healthiest birds he's seen. And they LOVE me. I know it because they come to me, not the other way around. The budgies not so much, but I purposely adopted unfriendly budgies who were stuck in a cage so that they could be happy in their freedom without having to deal with a human being.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts