Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1 year old cockatiel, Oscar, is full flighted and loving it, but the there have been some close calls ( someone coming in through the door while Oscar is flying around the house ). He also has been flying up to the ceiling fan ( the fan is never turned on ) and perching there. Usually I can coax him down with his favorite blanket, but sometimes he gets into one of those " nah I think I'll sit here for a while" moods. I have been thought about getting his wings clipped, but I think he might get depressed, and I think flying is very good exercise for him. On the other hand, I'm worried about his safety. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
885 Posts
I clipped my 11 month old tiel Zoe recently, because she was getting far too difficult to catch in times where she needed to be caught rather quickly. And I have had a few close calls with her as well. She loves people and she flies to us whenever we walk through the door, and there has been a couple of mad scrambles to shut the door before she makes it over because she'd probably just sail right out.

I have Zoe clipped so that she can still fly a little, but I can catch her easily when I need to. She can still get plenty of exercise, but she can't get up out of reach and be a brat to catch. She was a bit mopey for a few days initially, but she got over it and returned to her happy, attitude-y self shortly after.

Clipping is entirely up to you. Don't let anyone tell you that you should not clip just because "a bird is meant to have wings", because sometimes their safety has to come first. If you decide to clip, you can let his wings grow back out fully and see how he goes after that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts