Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got my birds the previous owners had clipped their wings and did a real hatchet job on them. I'm of the belief that a bird dosent have that many defenses and the only real defense they do have is their gift of flight. If the bird's are out there walking around the house. We have a small dog, a cat that lives outside, but has been known to get inside, and grand kids that are infatuated by the birds, and their too easy to step on. To clip there wings makes them vulnerable to too many dangers. After six month's their Finley flying and off the floor.
One of them favors my wife and the other favors me. When I turn to walk out of the room he flys over and lands on my shoulder to go with, when I give him a treat he flys to eat it on his cage, and I've even seen him fly to his cage to poop.
Now I get to my real question. Do you think birds naturally hate some people?
Every time my daughter-in-law comes over he flys to land in her hair, or on her shoulder to bite her on her ear. What do I do? I have to be able to trust he won't attack visiting company, but I'm not yet willing to ground him again. If I wanted a pet that dident fly I'd have gotten a puppy.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Well theres no reason to clip his wings and no I dont think a bird can just hate someone even a person cant hate someone they dont know does your daughter in law wear earrings.Thats cute how they follow you around my tiel Rocko is the same.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Earrings not that I've noticed, but after four different attacks she is definitely weary of him. Maybe he smells her fear. Maybe it's an overprotective thing. But what I don't understand is it seems to be just her he takes offence to. At least for now. It's kind of comical to see but I don't want anybody to get hurt. By the way I like your new signature.

·
Registered
228 Posts
This is a great question. I have noticed my tiel loves my son over anyone else in the family besides me and my son is not into birds and couldn't care one way or the other about the bird. My daughter loves birds, but my tiel doesn't take a shine to her and has objected to her taking him to her shoulder. I figure if my tiel picked me out at the bird shop, by letting me hold him when the other birds didn't, I figure a bird can have sense about people. But being aggressive might mean something else that others here are knowledgeable about to help.
I am going to see how my tiel does as I'm letting his wings grow out because it is probably always good to do what is best and safest for the bird and the environment he is living in.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I don't know that birds understand hate, but I definitely think there are specific features of certain people that can set them off. This is especially true of birds that didn't have the best start in life and might be reminded of negative experiences they've had in the past. But even just new things, like nail polish, or a bright shirt, or a different hair cut, can set them off and provoke an attack that isn't immediately understandable to us.

If airborne attacks are a problem, you can clip a few of your birds' flight feathers to slow them down and make it more difficult for them to get as much lift. Anecdotally, people on this forum and in other places have had good results with wing clipping to prevent/lessen aggression. You might also want to take a look at our sticky on hormone reduction, because being hormonal can give a bird more reason to react aggressively.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Earrings not that I've noticed, but after four different attacks she is definitely weary of him. Maybe he smells her fear. Maybe it's an overprotective thing. But what I don't understand is it seems to be just her he takes offence to. At least for now. It's kind of comical to see but I don't want anybody to get hurt. By the way I like your new signature.
Maybe get the two of them to interact with each other so he sees shes not going to hurt his family lol.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
I don't know that birds understand hate, but I definitely think there are specific features of certain people that can set them off. This is especially true of birds that didn't have the best start in life and might be reminded of negative experiences they've had in the past. But even just new things, like nail polish, or a bright shirt, or a different hair cut, can set them off and provoke an attack that isn't immediately understandable to us.

If airborne attacks are a problem, you can clip a few of your birds' flight feathers to slow them down and make it more difficult for them to get as much lift. Anecdotally, people on this forum and in other places have had good results with wing clipping to prevent/lessen aggression. You might also want to take a look at our sticky on hormone reduction, because being hormonal can give a bird more reason to react aggressively.
I dont think clipping would be the way to go just yet there should be another way to solve this without clipping theres always a choice.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Has he always been aggressive toward her or only just recently? How old is he? How many hours of darkness is he getting a night?
If his aggression toward her is sudden, it may be hormones. In which case, the information in the sticky that enigma731 linked could help benefit greatly.

That being said, another suggestion would be to remove him from the room when you daughter-in-law comes to visit and give him a favorite treat or something fun to do while in his cage in another room.
If your situation does not allow for that (such as mine does not), you could give him a semi-clip which is only clipping 2-3 flights. My male has a semi-clip because he has gone from mildly annoyed to full aggression toward my female. Because of this their out of cage time was cut in half since they couldn't be out in the same room together without him chasing and harassing her. I think part of his new heightened aggression could be frustration from being cooped up more.
So I gave him a light clip, and he can still fly and maneuver VERY well; just not fast enough to catch and attack Missy. He came from a home where he was housed in a too-small cage for 7 years, was never handled or let out, didn't know how to fly, etc. I've had him for over a year and he's become a wonderful little pilot with great maneuvering skills; even with his new clip. :)

I don't know if birds are capable of the emotion known as "hate" (I personally don't believe they are, but I keep an open mind to any new studies that may surface). But, like dogs, I do believe there can be triggers, no matter how minor they seem to us, that can set them off.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Maybe get the two of them to interact with each other so he sees shes not going to hurt his family lol.
It's never a good idea to get a second bird just because you're hoping it will solve problems with the first bird. That just leads to more problems.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I dont think clipping would be the way to go just yet there should be another way to solve this without clipping theres always a choice.
Clipping to slow a bird down when they are being aggressive is a great idea... Sometimes a bird picks his/her favorite person and sees others as rivals for that persons affections and will show aggression towards that person. It isn't hate it is just how bird instincts are. But if a bird has a light trim it can I courage the person being attacked to be around the bird and interact with them without fear of being bit. My green cheek LOVES my hubby and gets very excited around him, but then bites him hard... She rarely ever bites me, I keep her clipped so she cannot fly over to my hubby and bite him. He's happy he isn't getting bit, she's happy cuz she gets to be out and play on my desk or sit on me, I'm happy that they are both happy...lol

·
Registered
182 Posts
Both my birds were clipped when I got them. I got Ringo first so now his wings are grown out and he's just discovered flying. For two weeks now he was just flying around and landing in bad places. But just this last few days he now knows to fly to our arm and has got better with his 'aim'. Even to the point if he's on my shoulder and wants to go back to his perch he just flies there. My girl just flies off and thumps on the ground as she is younger and not as smart. I'm thinking of letting Ringo have his wings. We are getting control of his flying and it's awesome when he flies from his perch to our arm when we call him.

I'll let her get older to see if she can understand the flying to a certain point thing. I do not take them outside unless in their travel cage to get some sun and fresh air. I would like to take Ringo out with me down to the shops etc but that means clipping his wings. I'd HATE to lose him. I'd be crushed.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Clipping to slow a bird down when they are being aggressive is a great idea... Sometimes a bird picks his/her favorite person and sees others as rivals for that persons affections and will show aggression towards that person. It isn't hate it is just how bird instincts are. But if a bird has a light trim it can I courage the person being attacked to be around the bird and interact with them without fear of being bit. My green cheek LOVES my hubby and gets very excited around him, but then bites him hard... She rarely ever bites me, I keep her clipped so she cannot fly over to my hubby and bite him. He's happy he isn't getting bit, she's happy cuz she gets to be out and play on my desk or sit on me, I'm happy that they are both happy...lol
Yes but theres another way to solve this problem u dont need to clip his wings.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
There very well may be another way, however I do not see any being posted... A light trim does not hurt the bird, still allows them some flight, but slows them down and does not allow them to attack.
I know clipping dosent hurt its still their feathers being cut honestly I feel bad for birds who get clipped I clipped Rocko myself when I first got him but I wouldnt again but people on here do it for a reason I know that but still I feel bad for them because its their body and were touching it if they could speak to us they would say leave my feathers alone you wouldnt want me to shave your head bald lol.Seriously I dont know what im saying lol.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
You could email parrotwizard he knows ways to solve problems without clipping.But if it does continue and you definitely cant fix it then clip :(.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I know clipping dosent hurt its still their feathers being cut honestly I feel bad for birds who get clipped I clipped Rocko myself when I first got him but I wouldnt again but people on here do it for a reason I know that but still I feel bad for them because its their body and were touching it if they could speak to us they would say leave my feathers alone you wouldnt want me to shave your head bald lol.Seriously I dont know what im saying lol.
Clipping is not like shaving my head, that would serve no purpose other than humiliation... We do not clip birds to humiliate them... I guess it would be more like taking my shoes from me so I couldn't run fast outside. Wouldn't harm me, but would sure slow me down...lol

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
It's also not unlike how we prevent small children from running into the street or otherwise harming themselves through impulsive behavior.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Clipping is not like shaving my head, that would serve no purpose other than humiliation... We do not clip birds to humiliate them... I guess it would be more like taking my shoes from me so I couldn't run fast outside. Wouldn't harm me, but would sure slow me down...lol
Oh and I clipped a few feathers from Loki he was crashing all over the place and hurting himself and even clipped hes still flying into stuff but hes getting the hang of it.They scare very easily too I dropped their bag of seed one day luckily it was closed and it hit the ground made a little noise but they obviously heard it loud and they flew from their cage and Loki flew all the way downstairs and hit his cere off the wall.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
When I got Loki one of the pet store workers told me Loki would be very hard to tame and hes not lol he fully learned to step up on day 3 of bringing him home.Oops were having a conversation on someome elses thread

1 - 20 of 24 Posts