Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3 month-old baby, Newton, is in need of antibiotics. I only had him (or maybe her) a few weeks when I noticed his poop was very watery (sometimes all water) at times, and amorphous blobs instead of neat little coils at others. So one trip to the vet later, and I have antibiotics that I have to deliver twice a day.

I had only just started to towel train him, and now a week later, that's all out the window. He runs away as soon as he sees the towel, struggles madly against it when I get him (his wings were clipped by the breeder, so he can't get far), and does everything in his power not to open his beak for the syringe.

Afterwards, thank goodness, what he wants most to do is run up to my shoulder and snuggle, but I'd appreciate any advice on making this process easier. We have a week left, and he just gets more and more upset about it every day.

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
This image should help as to how/where to put the meds so he does not spit them back out.

If the poop is still watery the could also be due to stress. The body looses the water soluble nutrient and they have to be replenished. This article is about a different topic, but the info would be appicable to your situation.

http://www.justcockatiels.net/eating-droppings.html

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

The poop isn't still watery, thank goodness. There are still occasional blobby, non-coiled ones, but not enough for me to be overly concerned about it.

That's a great image, and I hope I don't offend anybody when I say it just made me laugh. He doesn't stay still long enough for me that precise about where the medicine goes in the mouth. Also, the syringe the vet gave me is much larger in proportion to his mouth than the one in the image. In the mouth is about as good as I can get in terms of specific locations.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Skiddles is on liver tonic every day which is given to her via syringe. I find holding her on my chest with my hand over her body works well. Obviously the liver tonic tastes ok because she opens her mouth once I have finally got her.

She was on antibiotics for a long time and that must have tasted terrible as she would carry on a fair bit. But she never spat it back out.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Grigio was on meds a few years ago and freaked out at the towel too. We finally discovered it was much easier without it.

I'm glad you're almost done.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today as soon as I sat down with the syringe he leapt off my arm and ran away. Time to start hiding that sucker until I have him secured.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
There is a youtube video on here somewhere of a vet showing how to give meds to a tiel. I swear the vet must have sedated that tiel because it just calmly laid there and let the vet drop the meds in his mouth. My tiel kicks his feet, shakes his head, tries to wiggle out of the towel, etc. The one thing that helped, which you may already be doing is kind of cradling him against my body- it somewhat limited his squirming. And if you tilt the tiel slightly it's somewhat easier to get the med to go where srtiels is showing in the diagram. I'll see if I can find the video. It was helpful in showing a good holding position. Just hang in there. :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, that was one chill cockatiel. If I had that loose of a grip on Newton he'd be long gone. I've actually been trying to get the meds in the mouth. The vet said I could do the side and let him lick it up, like the video showed, but when I put it in the side he shakes it off and ends up horribly sticky. At least when I get it in the mouth most gets swallowed, although some does get spattered about once I release him and he can shake his head. He's not a fan of the sickly-sweet cherry flavor, I guess.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ha! yes, I've been liberally spattered by post-medication head shakes. That stuff is sticky and tough to wash out of hair without a full shower.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts