Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately, I noticed that my bird seems cold. I made sure she is out of the way of any cold drafts but she still seems cold. I have been looking through heated perches, heated pads, space heaters, and heat lamps but I'm not sure which is best and what brands make the best products. I would really appreciate any advice as it's getting colder out and my windows are very old.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hello there and welcome to the forum!

What temperature are we talking about? Is your 'tiel fluffed up all the time?

I use a DeLonghi oil column heater as it's safe for the birds. A warm blanket to cover their cages at night helps keep them warm too.

Heat lamps are usually designed for reptiles and the light emitted from them can be harmful to a bird's sensitive eyes. If you can find one specifically for birds that would be a good option. Heat pads are excellent for baby cockatiels, but the ones I've looked at only state the wattage and not the actual temperature they run at. I don't know a lot about heated perches as they are not available in my area, I think perhaps if they are too warm your 'tiels feet could get burned, just make sure to do a lot of research on them before you decide to use one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The thermostat in my house is set to around 71-72 but my windows are terrible and they let almost all the cold it but my blinds reduce it by a little. I would guess that my room is about 20 degrees above the temperature outside when it gets cold. The majority of the time she when she's in or out of her cage she is fluffed up and shivering a lot. The vet says she's perfectly healthy for an 11 year old cockatiel so it's nothing medical. I worry about the heating methods that work through direct contact since I've heard a lot of stories of burned birds.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
A heater would be your best option then. Just make sure it's not gas and that it is well enclosed so that if your 'tiel lands on it she won't get burned. Oil column heaters seem to be one of the safest options.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have an outdoor aviary and never lost a single cockatiel last winter and it got down to -14 the aviary was literally a single wall shed no insulation. Our winters are not normally that cold in the uk. You can help keep her warm by allowing her to eat fattier seeds like sunflower and the odd suet pellet here and there. Also my new aviary has a red heat lamp that is on 24/7 it’s set up with an old cage around it so the birds can’t get to close. These heat bulbs are often used in brooders too so should be perfectly fine to use as a heat source for your bird

1 - 5 of 5 Posts