Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to get Oli to start eating pellets (as he was a seed junkie and won't eat any fruit or veg), but he refused to even try them- like he didn't acknowledge that they were food. I tried many methods, such as the mirror method, but no luck.

Eventually he would pick the odd one up, but spit it straight out.

Anyway- long story short, I realised that the pellets were simply too big for him! Although they were no bigger than a sunflower seed, but must be too hard for him to break down in to smaller pieces.

So I simply grinded a handful down in a blender and success! He began eating them happily without any needs of convincing. I didn't even need to mix them with his seeds, he loves them! So now his diet is 60-40 pellets and seeds, and I'm currently trying to get him eating his fruit & veg- he's such a stubborn baby!

It's not exactly a pro tip, or nifty trick, but it certainly made the difference of Oli not even trying a pellet, to scoffing them down!

Hope this helps anyone who is having problems getting their birds to eat pellets :)

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
It's a great idea!! I found my tiels were more likely to eat the budgie sized pellets then the tiel ones if they had never had pellets before. Once they were used to those, switching to the tiel size was easy.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Something which helps my chicks wean very quickly is if I remove the grate and sprinkle food I want them to try on the floor. They are drawn to the floor and want to check out and nibble on whats down there. It goes without saying, be prepared to clean the floor of your cage frequently with this method. After the bird is eating whatever you want them to try its just as easy to put it back.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
That is a good tip. At first I was hand feeding the cockatiel sized Zupreem fruity blend because Joey completely ignored it in his dish. He'd take a bite and the rest would go pinging across the room. The next bag was the medium size, and he eats them from his dish, no problem. I didn't think about crushing the big ones up.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I've been lucky with my birds- I mixed the pellets with their seeds and some of the birds (CoughtheConurecough) took to them like fish to water. Then I put the pellets in a bowl by themselves and the whole lot of them are eating the pellets out of the bowl!

Crushing the larger pellets is an excellent idea. I have to remember it for when I try another brand of pellets with my boogers :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
That's exactly what we did to get zazu to eat his :) I bought pellets that said suitable for cockatiels but they were obvs too big, so gonna get the smaller ones for him next time!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I got Sunny a brand called Pretty Bird Cockatiel - they are smaller than the bigger ones. He really likes them. I think it helped that when I introduced them I hand-fed them at first (he's hand-reared). I think he probably prefers seed but he's quite happy to eat both.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have two tiels, Gray didn't mind at all, the first time I introduce them he went to eat them, but not Pikachu, he's very picky, they love cilantro leaves
Any tips?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for the tip! I've been struggling to get my boy to eat pellets. I'll definitely be trying this...

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts