Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

First of all, am very new to this and I just got myself 2 Lutino Cockatiels less than a week ago am still in the process of setting up their comfy home with enough toys and things to explore. Initially got only 1 out of the 2 available, but went back the next day and got the other as well since they both were from the same brood and hand-raised together and I did not want to separate them. After getting the 2nd one, I guess I was able to notice the 1st settling in quicker, but it could be my imagination.

They are about 8 weeks old I think and their wings are completely clipped :(. Personally, I do not prefer to do that, but sadly I did not get to make that call for these 2 birds. Anyway, I just want to know when they will get their wings back. I understand its normal for a cockatiel to molt earliest at the age of 6 months, but does it apply to clipped wings as well? I mean, clipping is effectively damage, and wouldn't it grow back sooner or something than waiting for molting to happen?

The answer might be obvious, but I guess am just venting out as it breaks my heart to see them try to fly and fail each time ;(.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Based on baby bird experience they get two molts. My vet seriously clipped my irn so I accommodated my bird by using perches, ladders, and anything he could climb to get him places. A clip does grow out eventually. Just pay attention to where they want to go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Based on baby bird experience they get two molts. My vet seriously clipped my irn so I accommodated my bird by using perches, ladders, and anything he could climb to get him places. A clip does grow out eventually. Just pay attention to where they want to go.
Thanks for the reply. One of them had a night terror and hurt one of his wings and it bled pretty bad. Luckily I was awake and my DIY baby monitor picked it up and i turned on the lights and had the bird in my hand within seconds. It bled out about 3 drops of blood before the bleeding stopped and he did seem fine. I made the first available vet appointment which was only 2 days later. So for the next 2 days, i barely slept keeping an eye on them. The vet was pretty upset at how the wings were clipped, especially the one that got hurt, his wings were butchered to say the least according to her. She said it could take up to a year for both of them to get their wings back completely :(.

Anyways, they are healthy otherwise. I do have quite a lot of things set up in their cage for them to move around as much as possible. So i guess I'll have to wait it out for them to get their wings back and slowly teach them how to fly.

·
Registered
48 Posts
That's so sad, that some bird shops are still over clipping. I hope they come out ok. Night frights are and unfortunate reality with cockatiels though. There are things you can do, if you can determine what is setting them off for mine it's flashing light, so as long as he's in bed he's in a room cut off from all light sources. I've heard though that sometimes a night light can help. I haven't tried that. It's good that you could be there so quickly to calm him. Your diy baby monitor sounds really interesting. 😃

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's so sad, that some bird shops are still over clipping. I hope they come out ok. Night frights are and unfortunate reality with cockatiels though. There are things you can do, if you can determine what is setting them off for mine it's flashing light, so as long as he's in bed he's in a room cut off from all light sources. I've heard though that sometimes a night light can help. I haven't tried that. It's good that you could be there so quickly to calm him. Your diy baby monitor sounds really interesting. 😃
I am really concerned about the night terrors! 2 incidents so far. Well 1 was because a magpie landed on the balcony (my tiels are close to the double glass door that leads into the 1st floor balcony. I thought it was a good place with a nice view of the greenery) and the tiels freaked out and since i was closeby, I opened the cage and they just climbed onto my shoulders and settled down. The night terror happened just now and the guy with the butchered wings got hurt again and started bleeding. It wasn't bad, but i still had to stop the bleeding and I had to hold him down with a towel to do it. While i was holding him down, he did calm down though. But am afraid the trust is broken as he is seriously trying to bite my fingers if i take it too close to him. Still loves sitting on my shoulders though. The other one is quite the opposite, he feels safer in and around my hands and lets me pet him and that seems to calm him down more.

Am really not sure what is setting them off. They are kept in the 1st floor next to the glass window/door, but i have pulled down the blinds just enough so that they can't see outside (magpies are a common sighting in summer here). At night it is quite dark, but since the blinds are not closed all the way, the street light/moonlight creeps in to give a bit of night lamp effect. I am considering moving them into my room at the moment. It is quite small and jam-packed with my bed and computer desk, but i dont want to be away from them at night anymore.

About the baby monitor, i had a security cam lying around (tp-link KC100) and i set it up next to their cage. It is a good cam with excellent night vision and motion detection and 2 way audio and all. I set up an old tablet to had the cam live stream 24x7 on my computer desk and of course, motion detection does trigger a notification with sound.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts