Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love this little hen, she is such a sweet bird and loves nothing more than to come inside for little holidays. When she has chicks it's a different story, she is a fiercely protective mother who thinks nothing of drawing blood when I check the nest.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Awww they are so cute. She looks like a great mama bird!

·
Registered
786 Posts
So sweet, a great little mama...

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
H*ll hath no fury like a cockatiel protecting chicks! Sideswipe, my breeding cock, will try to bite the conure through the bars of the cage. Good thing there's an inch space between the breeding cage and the aviary!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hahaha yup I open the peephole door ever so slowly but she is always waiting for me and makes me jump. I always have a good laugh. I managed a good look today and another egg has hatched, so five beautiful babies!

·
Registered
162 Posts
The courage and bravery in these little birds. This is where theire stubborness comes in handy. They are great parents, most of them, that is.

I have experience with ducks, as my best friend breed them. They are almost not protective at all. If I pick up a duckling to check it the mother just walks away with the rest of her ducklings. Once I even saw one of the mother ducks chasing away one of the other to take her ducklings. When she had won and all the fourty ducklings was following her around (they have no bond to their mother, they just follows the duck in charge it seems) she completely lost interest and tried to escape them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts