Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i had my male tiel, koko, for a week now. He is untamed, he bites alot, he is always scared of my hands. He doesnt have much toys in his cage since im moving him to a bigger one next week. Today i tried offering him food from my hands and he was not so sure at first but after a while he started to relax and came to eat from my hand, he started eating a little but then he tried to bite my finger (thinking its food not on purpose) and im a flinchy person so i flinched and moved my hand so quickly that it made him freak out and start flapping his wings inside the cage and scream alot. I tried calming him and closed the cage again but he kept screaming alot. It took him a while to relax again and eat from his food bowl. Im worried that this made him scared of me even more and had effected the trust i bulit in this week as he was starting to accept me around and reply to my whistles
Also like 3 days ago i put a mirror next to his cage as he was so interested in it from far away and he was so happy to have it, he was playing around it and whistling to it, then he started flock calling for about 5 minutes everytime i put it for him. He seemed fine with it but when i take it away he starts looking for it and freaks a little, not for too long just some minutes. Should i keep it for him or should i remove the mirror completely?? I feel like he thinks its another bird and he wants to play with him.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hello there and welcome to the forum.

For an untamed 'tiel he is doing very well taking food from your hand already. You haven't had him for very long so he will need a lot of time to settle in and become comfortable in his new environment. 'Tiels are generally very forgiving so I think he will warm up to you again in time.

You may find this thread a good read for some tips on taming shy/skittish 'tiels.

Food bribery works a charm in winning their trust, just be patient and if he starts biting you, stop for the moment and try again later. Do you offer him millet spray? This is always my treat of choice for food bribery because it's something they can't resist!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.