Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, i am new and glad to be here. i rescued my tiel over a year ago, he was 3 weeks old and he is my whole heart. there are 3 main reasons that i have figured he screams.

1st reason is i was a newbie to tiels and didn't know better. so he was started on a all seed diet as per the pet stores. i have recently learnt this is the worst and am trying to convert him to pellets. its been about 1 month. still cried for his budgie seeds that he loves so much. i feel terrible for doing this to him :(

2nd reason is i have moved out, and he is in a new environment, so i accept he is not settled yet and will give him as much time as he needs to be happy here in our new home. but i have neighbors and dont want anyone complaining that will force me to have to give him up. that wont be fair at all :( my old home also had a aviary, with other cockatiels. so i understand that i have taken him away from his flock but i didnt have a choice. so i bought another tiel for him and he was not happy. fighting with the new one and not happy that there was another one so i put the new one in the avairy back home because it made him worse. the new one was very quiet and not tame at all so we tried for a month but had to give up.

3rd reason is when he was a baby and would scream i would run to him and do anything for him. now i feel he screams for my attention and its a terrible cycle happening here. when he screams ( for the past 2 months ) i would start by ignoring him, ( seeing that hes not hurt and has food ) then he will carry on and i would then go cover him, and when he becomes quiet i would uncover him. hes very good when you cover him, quiets down in about 5 minutes. so then i uncover him and whisper to him and as soon as i sit down by him he screams again so i cover him again. this cycle can continue for the whole day.

its obviously not working. what do i do. what am i doing wrong. how do i break this bad habit i have obviously created. i dont want to get rid of him. i cannot even put him outside for a new scenery as i fear for the neighbors getting the management to tell me to get rid of him. i have bought this home so i cannot even move someones else :(

im at my witts end and i love him so much and hes a good boy. but this is stressing me out so much and breaking my heart :( my partner does not have a bond with him and doesn't give him the patience he deserves. so its on b=me to help my baby to be happier

please be kind and help me to stop the behavior.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have the same issue...! I am so sad, if my cockatiel keeps doing this, O don't want to but I might give him back to the breeder. I hate myself. I will follow this conversation so I might get a solution.

·
Registered
I have normal greys, whiteface, pearl pieds, creamface cinnamons, and pearls.
673 Posts
BOTH of you should have ask yourself this simple question: Do I REALLY want a bird ? If your lives are This complicated, give them up to someone who will take the time and patience to PROPERLY care for a bird!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I sure hope so!....for the bird's sake!
Okay so I was having sort of a panic attack and was crying endlessly. Sorry if I made a bad impression, I was literally freaking out because I was scared of responsibility... The bird was just happy and I was overacting! It was my first day. Don't worry about me! The bird will be happy with me. I prayed so I would calm down. After I talked to my mom about it, an overwhelming wave of positivity suddenly came to me and I started being supper positive. I have a different view on things now, and I will be taking care of the bird for all of its life. It will be the happiest bird in all of Greece. I PROMISE! 🥰
It might sound crazy, but it's awesome the amount of joy God can give when you trust and have faith. Anyways, don't worry about me or the bird, we will be living our best life for the rest of its life. May God bless you!!!

·
Registered
I have normal greys, whiteface, pearl pieds, creamface cinnamons, and pearls.
673 Posts
Lizy, Please accept my appologies for being so harsh on you AND the other girl. I went back and reread your original post and should have realized you were just in a panic mode. I guess it's like this: I know your young, and I'm much older than you. When you learn to love and respect birds as I have, you'll understand my response to people that just GIVE up on birds when they simply don't understand them. I've seen it happen far too many times and it makes me sad. I'm glad for the last post you made because it made me realize how wrong I was in this situation. I truely wish you and your bird ALL the best and hope it works out for you.

Robert

1 - 7 of 7 Posts