Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got Peekaboo about 5 months ago, and he's still terrified if I put my hand anywhere near him. He's fine with my face, my nose can be touching him and he won't care, but hands? NOPE. To clarify, whenever I put my hand near him he gets skinny and starts hissing at me, and if I get too close he will bite me, which only hurts my feelings. He's also fine with being on my arm or shoulder, and will eat millet if I'm holding it, but not right out of my hand. Any advice? We've got a pretty stable relationship otherwise, he loves to mimic my terrible beat-boxing.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Have you tried offering a palm or a fist instead of fingers? A lot of the time, tiels are just afraid of the fingers, not the whole hand itself. I would keep working with the millet and make him come get it out of your hand. It takes a lot of patience to work with a bird that is hand shy. But it's totally worth it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Mine was exactly the same. It took a long time for him to trust just a finger and then a palm. He will hop on now when I "present" him my finger or palm. But, he is still very leery of hands (and I'm guessing he always will be). I just respect that in him now. After about 5 years I "can" pick him up, but he fusses about it at length. :) And lord help anyone else who tries.

Try "offering" him a finger from a safe distance away. Or start with a stick to get him to step up. He'll probably catch on. But it might take a while.

As for why? I really don't know. Maybe a bad experience as a baby? A rough handler?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I don't know if any of this is of use to you, but here's our story.

Mine is the same as yours when it comes to hands. He isn't quite tame yet either and that makes for weird situations. Like when he decided he wanted to sit on my lap when I was opening Christmas presents. He flew there by himself, then kept hissing at my hands whenever I tried to pick up a present. It ended up with everyone else opening presents and me sitting with my hands on my back and a happy tiel watching the others opening gifts from my knee.

Mine is scared of both fingers and fists, but because of regular trips to the vet I've had to handle him a lot. Since he wasn't handled at all before I got him I've recently begun to pick him up randomly as well, to place him on a different perch or take him out of his cage to give him millet. I would not recommend doing this if not necessary, but I don't want him to associate hands with the vet only. Actually, this has helped for us. He now realises sometimes good things comes from beeing lifted, and sometimes nothing really special and sometimes that horrible vet monster. The lifting it self has become less scary for him as he realises it is just that. He still doesn't like it, but after he accidentally landed on me when flying he discovered that sitting on me isn't scary at all. So now, when he knows I am going to lift him he will climb on to my fist instead and sit there instead. He will try to fly away if I want to take him for a longer trip than 2 meters away, but I take it for improvement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts