Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i'm not sure how to describe it, but it's sort of like a gurgling sound. i've attached a video.

my bird has been making this sound once in a while for the past day or so. i've already brought him to the vet last month as he stopped chirping and he was prescribed zeniquin (marbofloxacin) for some "gram negative bacteria" to take for 3 weeks. over the course of his treatment he's gotten better, albeit slowly. he still can't chirp but he squeaks when being pet. what's worrying me is this sound he started making today (he doesn't make it often, but it's still worrying me). he's also been a bit more lethargic. i'm going to the vet for a follow-up appointment on monday, is this too late? i really appreciate any response!

some other symptoms he's been having with his infection:
-no chirping, just squeaking
-clearing crop often
-lots of sneezing

[LOUD AUDIO WARNING] (sorry, i had to boost the audio so the sound he's making can be heard)

·
Registered
959 Posts
I'm not a vet but that sounds like congestion in the lungs. You should get him to the vet as soon as possible and not wait until Monday. Respiratory problems are life-threatening and those sounds are worrisome.

·
Registered
cockatiels
99 Posts
I'm not a vet but that sounds like congestion in the lungs. You should get him to the vet as soon as possible and not wait until Monday. Respiratory problems are life-threatening and those sounds are worrisome.
I agree. Needs a vet check again ASAP. Maybe that he's snuffed down a seed husk into nasal area, or lung issue. This can kill him. Try a different vet if you can who specializes in birds 💓

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm just seeing this post now. I hope you got to a vet. My bird was making similar sounds and quickly died from congestive heart failure. I called the vet and said my bird was hoarse and they understood. I hope your little one is alright. My baby had cardiac issues for many years prior to his death.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts