Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so excited we have our first clutch of sweet babies. Any one care to hazard a guess as to what the genders might be? Dad is a grey pied and Mom is lutino. I'm thinking the baby pied is a boy and the 2 lutinos are girls. They're so sweet and snuggly.

·
Registered
210 Posts
They are all very adorable! Your pearl pied baby is a female due to genetics. The mutation pearl is sex-linked. In order for it to be a girl, the father has to be a visual pearl or split to pearl. In order for it to be a boy, the father and mother have to both be pearl. Since females can't be split to pearl, the father is split to pearl which would make the pearl pied baby a female. I don't know about the other two though. Lutino is also sex-linked as well. Since the mom is lutino and you had lutino chicks, that would mean that the father is split to lutino, and either of the lutino babies could be male or female.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are all very adorable! Your pearl pied baby is a female due to genetics. The mutation pearl is sex-linked. In order for it to be a girl, the father has to be a visual pearl or split to pearl. In order for it to be a boy, the father and mother have to both be pearl. Since females can't be split to pearl, the father is split to pearl which would make the pearl pied baby a female. I don't know about the other two though. Lutino is also sex-linked as well. Since the mom is lutino and you had lutino chicks, that would mean that the father is split to lutino, and either of the lutino babies could be male or female.
Thanks so much!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a question: When should I put the chicks in their own cage (but in the same room as parents)? I don't hand feed, the parents are feeding them beautifully. They are about 5 weeks now and 2 of the 3 have started flying and eating millet and soft food.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts