Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a friend and her 15 year old daughter come over for a visit on Saturday, and kaitlyn (the daughter) fell head over heels in love with Panda.

She's not a very social girl at all and she's been struggling with depression and anxiety for as long as I can remember. But the way she was with Panda was amazing. She was so happy and upbeat and she kept asking questions about him (which I happily answered). He completely brought her out of her shell. Even her mother was stunned. She didn't want to leave because she didn't want to say goodbye to Panda lol. He sat on her the entire time, too, and showed no interest in anyone else, which was a nice change from the panda-shaped hat that is usually super glued to my head LOL.

She's coming back to visit on Saturday and i'm seriously thinking about letting her take him home. I've spoken to her mum and she's fine with it. Kait has been here a couple of times since Saturday and i've her her feed him for me, she's a natural lol. He's gaining weight well again now so he's back down to 2 feeds a day (7am and 7pm) which she would be able to do before and after school every day. And they're only a block away so I can go visit him whenever I like.

I'd miss him a lot, but I have lots of birds to keep me company. And it would make Zoe a lot happier :p But they both seemed perfect together and there's really no words to describe how it feels when your pet makes a struggling teenager smile. Plus I really want to see the look of sheer joy on kait's face when I tell her she can take him home lol.

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
Wow, that's a very generous thought! I look forward to your decision. You know what's best for your birds, so it'll be interesting to see the outcome :)

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Yes, it is a generous thought and I look forward to your decision too.
I was also advised to have a cockatiel because I was not very social and also struggling with depression, and he has helped me a lot with his outgoing character and funny antics.

·
Registered
786 Posts
That is awesome of you to want to help her. Keep us up on what the outcome is. Maybe you could post some pics of her with Panda? Best of luck...

·
Registered
325 Posts
I think it's wonderful that you are willing to do that for her. It might be hard but in the long run the benefits on both panda and the girl will be enormous

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
That is so sweet. :love: My cockatiels have helped me in that way a lot, too. It's wonderful just how much of an effect they have on people.

·
Registered
68 Posts
This is amazing, I love what you're doing for this young girl. Seems like they are meant to be together. What a blessing for her!

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Such a heartwarming story! As you said, he would be a block away so you could visit any time. I know it is a hard decision to make, but you will go with your heart either way.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
This is beautiful! I'm a firm believer that children should always have an animal to learn to take care of. They really do help you out with their personalities.

·
Registered
161 Posts
What a wonderful thing you are doing, bringing happiness to a troubled teen and giving Panda what would be a good home....

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:love: Thanks for the kind words guys!

I decided i'm going to let her have him, but he's going to stay with me until he's weaned, so I can keep a close eye on his weight. He's a bit up and down at the moment and while kait's house is very close, it's just easier if he stays here until he's not on formula anymore lol.

We still haven't told kait yet but last night really made the decision final for me. Julie asked kait if she'd like a cockatiel of her own for christmas, and she was like "nah, I like this guy. I'll just visit him a lot".

I'll try to remember to get a picture of them next time she visits lol

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
may be goodbye

Wow, shaenne, that is so wonderful! What a loving, compassionate heart you have! It sounds like Panda really likes her, too. It is amazing to me how much an animal can help someone. Anyone who says about a cockatiel "it's just a bird" doesn't know anything at all about them!! Thanks for sharing Panda. May the Lord bless you!

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
D'aaaawwww!! Gotta love birdy love at first sight :D I know with my depression and other psych issues, I'd be in the hospital more often than if I didn't have my birds!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I know with my depression and other psych issues, I'd be in the hospital more often than if I didn't have my birds!
My boy is the best medicine for me too. He drives me crazy sometimes, but I love him to bits and while I still have existential angst etc., I just can't resist his charm and I also feel responsible for him. I just hope nothing EVER happens to him because I cannot even imagine my life without him. Just looking at his cute face is priceless.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
While it is a very generous thought of you, remember that she'll be off to college here in a few years. If you let her take Panda, make sure she has a plan for that. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts