Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Do you know how old he/she is? If it is older than 1 year old, it is a female. If it is younger than 1 year old, it could be male or female. You could always DNA it to find out for sure. Female pearl cockatiels always keep their pearly mutation while the males lose it after they reach about 1 year old.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know how old he/she is? If it is older than 1 year old, it is a female. If it is younger than 1 year old, it could be male or female. You could always DNA it to find out for sure. Female pearl cockatiels always keep their pearly mutation while the males lose it after they reach about 1 year old.
The breeder told me that it is 4 months old

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, then you would probably have to DNA it to find out. Do you know the parents' mutations? That could possibly determine what it is.
No bro the breeder didn't showed the parents and also in India the DNA centres are located in a populated cities only. Can we determine the gender in other ways?

·
Registered
210 Posts
You could try wingspot sexing the bird. It worked for my cockatiels, but it's not 100% accurate all the time especially with pied cockatiels. I'll insert the screenshots that I've taken, and you can see if you can find out the gender that way.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You could try wingspot sexing the bird. It worked for my cockatiels, but it's not 100% accurate all the time especially with pied cockatiels. I'll insert the screenshots that I've taken, and you can see if you can find out the gender that way.
Ok. How can we find in a cinnamon pied cockatiel gender?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Do you know how old the cinnamon pied cockatiel is? Does it sing lots, and is it very vocal? You could try the wingspot sexing for that tiel, but I find the pied mutations are very difficult since they have many different coloured wings. I tried it with my 4 month old pied cockatiel, and according to that, I thought he was a female but when I DNA'd him, it came back as male.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts