Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i know its kinda silly to ask this on a cockatiel forum cus its gonna be some bias, but im leaning more towards cockatiel and i figure some people here prolly also have experience with conures.

first of all i love how cockatiels look, the little crest on their head makes them pretty imo and i love their attitude...i had a budgie and hated how she ws always scared and squeamish (i got her form petsmart and gave her the nicest cage u can buy with good toys and everything and worked with her everyday and did everything all the experts said to do, but she never got tamed :( ) ive actually had several people tell me that if u get a budgie it needs to be from a breeder bcacuse petstore budgies will frustrate u too much especially if you have mental illnes...but cockatiels will stand their ground and if you get too close they won't hesitate to bite your finger right off and hiss at you, i love that fiery edge about them and feel like since they aren't so scared they can bond better once they see you are their friend and take care of them.

only thing im worried about with tiels is i hear they masturbate a lot, pretty much every other youtube video on cockatiels is them masturbating...and it kinda creeps me out. is there anyway to prevent that? if u cover them 12 hours a day will it inhibit breeding instincts and hormones and prevent masturbation?

also can someone explain teh different types? i seen the regular 150$ish cockatiels at petstores, but i seen pics and videos of tiels that are all white and look gorgeous and etc.

also did u buy your tiel from a breeder or petstore or what? i seen tiels at petco that they said some of them are bird raised and others are hand raised (hand raised ones are like 30 bucks more)... can pet store tiels be tamed? also it sucks cus all the tiels i seen for sale are only girls, i guess the guys are the only ones that sing and get bought out quickly. but petco told me all their conures are hand raised, so is it good to get a conure from them?

also i see tiels are like half the price of conures so thats another good point, but i guess im mostly worried about taming and masturbation because i hear conures are the most easy to tame birds out there and they love playing with humans like they are puppies. and i have mental illness so i want a bird that will wanna play with me and stuff... i dont care if the bird can't do tricks or talk, but i just wanna be able to play and not get frustrated from it being scared and etc because that just makes me want to kill myself more.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I had a conure and had two cockatiels. From my experience go with a tiel!

I came to the same decision 7 months ago when I was looking for a bird. I'm so happy I got my cockatiel Cosmo! I got him from a pet shop and he wasn't tamed, but he is now tamed and knows a couple tricks! I enjoy working with him everyday, he is my buddy. :) He was very easy to train.

My conure was my brother's old bird that he wasn't good to. He was mean and my brother named him Pyscho. I was young when I had him. No matter how much I worked with him, he still wasn't friendly. Also conures are SUPER loud so please consider that too. Cosmo can pierce ears with an occasional scream, but it was no where near as loud and often like my conure.

But honestly, if you get frustrated easily, I wouldn't recommend getting a bird. They take a lot of time and patience. You can not punish them or treat them negativitly in any way...they will always remember. You really have to have a high tolerance to noise and cool to deal with outbursts of screaming and loud calling.

If you want a relaxing and enjoyable pet with small care requirements an aquarium is amazing to have. I also have an aquarium and it's very soothing to watch my fish. Birds are a very big commitment that live 20+ years so please really do research before you commit.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I should also mention, I could never play with neither my cockatiels or conure. Birds don't play like puppies. Cosmo's idea of "playtime" with me is teaching him tricks and getting rewards for his tricks.

Cosmo although he is tame, won't let me touch him (unless he is taking a shower and is relaxed) and I have to respect that to keep a good bond and relationship with him. I don't ever push him to where he is uncomfortable because he would never trust me. Please also consider that not every bird likes to be touched and it's nothing personal, you just gotta understand you're a giant to them and I would be scared too if I was small like them.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
getting a cockatiel

I have had a couple of 'tiels, not nearly as experienced as many on the forum, but I think cockatiels make wonderful companions. But they DO need attention, as CosmoBird said. And, like all birds, they are messy. But to me it is worth it! They can get hormonal, but covering them for at least 12 hours will reduce that. I have never seen my bird (a male) masturbating with anything, but I know some will. My other bird was a female I had for 13 years and she laid eggs from time to time and would aggressively defend them, but that's all.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I think before you get any bird you should get a few books and read all about them first. A bird is like any pet. There will be training involved, they can be noisy, and you have to be patient with them. They also need a lot of care- feeding a varied and balanced diet, including vegetables, pellets and seed, and things like sprouts are good for them also. You need to be ready to take them to the vet if they get sick, and that can rack up some money. Avian vets are not cheap, and do you even have access to an Avian Vet? Its not something you should do because you think they are cute, or they may talk. Its a live animal that you need to dedicate yourself to, and take care of every single day. They can live up to 20years or more. Once you think of these and other things, you may find that you don't even want a bird. So really look into it and decide on facts, not just a whim.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I think before you get any bird you should get a few books and read all about them first. A bird is like any pet. There will be training involved, they can be noisy, and you have to be patient with them. They also need a lot of care- feeding a varied and balanced diet, including vegetables, pellets and seed, and things like sprouts are good for them also. You need to be ready to take them to the vet if they get sick, and that can rack up some money. Avian vets are not cheap, and do you even have access to an Avian Vet? Its not something you should do because you think they are cute, or they may talk. Its a live animal that you need to dedicate yourself to, and take care of every single day. They can live up to 20years or more. Once you think of these and other things, you may find that you don't even want a bird. So really look into it and decide on facts, not just a whim.
Yes I'm well aware of all that. I may not have owned a cockatiel before, but I've had many other birds and looking at your other posts I am much more experienced and knowledgeable than you are.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts