Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had my baby for over a month now and, yes.... I'm already thinking of adding to my flock of one. I'm all set with a quarantine cage and have a separate room for a new tiel. What I want to know is.... I know my baby is a boy. Would he do better with another boy or a girl? There is no guarantee that I'll know the sex of the new bird (haven't even started looking yet) but I want to know what would work best for my baby. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Allen. I already know about DNA sexing. That's what I had done to Baby.

I just want to know if boys get on better with other boys or do they prefer to hang out with girls.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Getting a girl will come with the risk of breeding (i've run into it after having Cookie and Bailee together for over a year). Males will get along just as well, so if you want to avoid mating and egg problems i would go for a male. :p

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Bea. I thought I read in the posts that boys didn't get along and I wanted to make sure I wasn't imagining things. I'm glad to hear that they "should" (knowing full well every tiel is it's own bird) get along well. lol Now the search begins.... There is a bird show on the 6th of April that I'm going to. Hopefully I'll find a tiel there... and a whole bunch of cheap toys too. :D

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
I would get another male that way you don't have to worry about eggs ;) Some places pre dna test their birds and I heard of a few places that will dna test their birds if you pay for the dna testing. That way you will be able to know what sex you are bringing home.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
If you are prepared to expect eggs, or want to breed a female would be fine to put in with him! :) I have never heard of males not getting on with males, so both sex's are fine! :p

·
Registered
581 Posts
even if you want to breed eventually, unless you plan on breeding in the next 4 years i wouldnt worry about getting a mate right away...
once a female is 4 years old, it is inadvisable to breed her, as the risk of eggbinding and other heath problems increases drastically after they reach 4yo...

i know of a few people who have male tiels together, and who get along...
i myself have 3 female and 3 male tiels who all get along, the males have 'whistling wars' and there is no difference to the severity of the bickering that the males or females do sometimes...

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input everyone. As I said before, I have no desire to breed. I was thinking of getting Baby a friend to encourage him to explore more. Last night, however, he showed me that he doesn't need that kind of encouragement. When I got home he started screeching at me whenever I was out of sight (which I thought was sweet) so I took him out of his cage and gave him some scritches. After having him out for a while, I put him back in his cage so he could have dinner. I left his door open and a little while later.... he waddled over to the door.... called to me a few times (I was sitting on the couch across from the cage) and then he launched himself out of the cage! lol Poor thing fell 3 feet down to the ground! :love: But then he waddled right over to me. I picked him up and he promptly fell asleep on my chest. :love:

I'm still going to the bird fair in a week and a half and if I fall in love then I will get another tiel. But at least now I'm not worried about the tiel I do have. He seems to be doing quite all right. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts