Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I joined this wonderful forum a decade ago. Things changed, I was in India, I moved to US and ended up not getting one.

I am in pretty good spot to take care of one now. I have a dilemma,

1. I saw one locally for adoption. It's supposed to be a female, not hand tamed. Attaching picture but it's old one as per the owner and the cockatiel is now 1 year and a few months old. It comes with cage and all supplies.

2. I found two supposedly good breeders

Wings of the World Wings of the World | Exotic Bird Store | Bothell, WA

Denise's Parrot Place Denise's Parrot Place: 206-232-8115, Mercer Island, WA, USA

I believe I will get some guidance from them, a baby male, already tamed, ability to choose one. Not really a hard requirement but one with orange cheeks.

I am not sure if I am up for all difficulties that come up with adopting an adult.

Thanks,
Ruturaj

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The owner replied to me with following

"also there is a bird conservationist who is also interested in taking both birds. I would prefer them being adopted together but if she doesn't reply before Friday then you can adopt the Cockatiel. Although you should know that this Cockatiel is not a beginner bird she is very aggressive and scared, she will require a lot of work to bond but her bites will draw blood"

I think I am going the breeder route.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would go with that. You are taking a chance with purchasing birds from others. I hve had good luck so far that route, but have thoroughly done my research.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would go with that. You are taking a chance with purchasing birds from others. I hve had good luck so far that route, but have thoroughly done my research.
Given the owners response in last post, I dropped the idea of adopting from him.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I also think you should go with a younger bird. My three came to me with a history and I am grateful to give them a safe, loving forever home. But I wouldn't suggest that for you, a new bird owner, until you have more experience with them.

Reactions: Ruturaj001
1 - 6 of 6 Posts