Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out in the back yard and my attention was instantly drawn to a small bird that flew on the ground in the back yard and then the dogs started running for it. I started to panic thinking it was one of mine and ran after the dogs yelling at them. got them inside then ran to the aviary to do a head count.

I was so relieved when I saw they were all there. In the whole 4 years we have lived here we have never seen a cockatiel in the wild and this one wasn't flying away when I was getting to close. I think it was attracted to our birds so I took Myka out in his cage and scattered some seed and waited for it to come closer. It was just peacefully eating seed among the galahs. failed a couple of times to catch it in the blanket but it always came back for more food. Then I put a cage on its side with seed in, then threw a blanket over the open side when it was inside.

I have him in the laundry now in a small cage, he's been eating, has a little bit of a sore eye other wise looks ok, really hungry though, he didn't try to bite to hard when I got him.
So do you guys think he's most likely a tame one that someone has lost? he's a cute pearl and I've put notices up in town and will go to the vets tomorrow when they are open.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Sounds tame to me but not familiar with you. I've rescued wild parrots and they are very scared and freaked out - so if he's eating and fine, probably someone's tame cockatiel but just not used to you.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Be very very careful, sore eyes can be a sign of psittacosis! Make sure he is in quarantine and take all precautions until you know he is healthy.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Yep, doesn't sound like a wild 'tiel. I hope you are able to find his/her owner! Good on you for catching him and taking him in. :)

·
Registered
414 Posts
It would be wonderful if you could find it's owner. If not, do you plan on keeping him?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's such a relief, I was stating to think I'd just plucked a wild one out from his home :)

We're u located at know someone that missing a cockiteal
We're in Waroona, Western Australia

Be very very careful, sore eyes can be a sign of psittacosis! Make sure he is in quarantine and take all precautions until you know he is healthy.
Thank you, I have had to deal with Car Alarm having Psittacosis before so I have this little one in a completely seperate room from the others and make sure I clean up before seeing mine. But I've had a bit of a closer look at it and it could be just a scratch or something, it looked like it had a bit of a dried dark blob next to it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
maybe post his pic on Parrot alert and your local vet/WIRES and see if anyone can recognise him/her

I know i'd love to recover my lost birdie

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've put ads up at our local supermarket, vets and on the have a chat facebook page, also gumtree. Been asking friends if they know anyone who's lost one and the vets are going to let us know if they hear anything.
But I'll definately put one up on Parrot alert today, I haven't been using pictures of him/her though since I want anyone who claims him to tell me what he looks like to avoid anyone who might just be after picking up a free birdie :)

So far no ones claimed him though, which is sad.

maybe post his pic on Parrot alert and your local vet/WIRES and see if anyone can recognise him/her

I know i'd love to recover my lost birdie
I'm really sorry you lost yours :( but at least this proves that some birds are found and who knows how long this little one has been away from home for.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I've put ads up at our local supermarket, vets and on the have a chat facebook page, also gumtree. Been asking friends if they know anyone who's lost one and the vets are going to let us know if they hear anything.
But I'll definately put one up on Parrot alert today, I haven't been using pictures of him/her though since I want anyone who claims him to tell me what he looks like to avoid anyone who might just be after picking up a free birdie :)

So far no ones claimed him though, which is sad.

I'm really sorry you lost yours :( but at least this proves that some birds are found and who knows how long this little one has been away from home for.
I had a cockatiel given to me last year who flew down and landed on a person... I posted online and looked everywhere for his owner.. I called the vet offices, humane society, and all the pet stores. I also googled for months about lost bird/cockatiel/parrot and found nothing... He is a lovely bird except he bit fingers viciously when I got him... Hardly bites at all now and then it isn't hard... Sad to say I believe he was thrown away and only days from a miserable cold death.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts