Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we brought home our 2 babies today. They are both Whiteface. We think one is going to be completely white as all her pin feathers are white. She is 2.5 weeks old. The other one is 2 weeks old and he has alot of grey pin feathers. They are siblings, of not sure of the sex but the grey one "talks" alot and the white one is very quiet.

They are all set up in their baby house with a heating pad under it. They are cuddled up in a little container lined with paper towels.

They had their first feeding a couple hours ago and all went well. They are napping now.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
It would be such a great experience to hand rear your own tiels. :) Breeders here aren't allowed to sell unweaned chicks, which in some ways is a good thing. Good luck with your two!! :D

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
How adorable and exciting!! Be sure to post lots of pics! :D

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's not really alot of work. You just don't have the freedom to go out for a whole day. Right now I am feeding 7am, 11am, 3pm, 7pm, 11pm. The feedings are going really well.

It will be worth it all. They are soo adorable and they love being cuddled already. They love their beaks rubbed too.

I took some pics last night. I am going to try and take pics every other day because they grow SO fast. In just the short time we have had them , the younger birds crest has doubled in size! I am just going to go read how to post them.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
It's not really alot of work. You just don't have the freedom to go out for a whole day. Right now I am feeding 7am, 11am, 3pm, 7pm, 11pm. The feedings are going really well.

It will be worth it all. They are soo adorable and they love being cuddled already. They love their beaks rubbed too.

I took some pics last night. I am going to try and take pics every other day because they grow SO fast. In just the short time we have had them , the younger birds crest has doubled in size! I am just going to go read how to post them.
Good to hear all is going well with the babies :) must be such a great experience raising them from so young, you will have some lovely babies out of it, it is amazing how fast they grow I look forward to seeing the updates on them :D

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
That's a great idea, baby birds do change so rapidly, and you'll be able to look back and watch them grow over and over again. :D

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
The white one is completely full of pin feathers now, barely any down feathers left. Some of her feathers are even starting to poke through the straws now I noticed this morning. They both are doing great!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We started making toys for them today. We got a bunch of stuff at the dollar stores. These birds will be spoiled with toys since we won't have to pay $20 for each toy.

I am thinking about adding some millet to their baby home to try to peck at since they seem hungry all the time. Might keep them busy. I think it might be a bit early though, I have some reading to do...

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I am thinking about adding some millet to their baby home to try to peck at since they seem hungry all the time. Might keep them busy. I think it might be a bit early though, I have some reading to do...
A very early start is helpful once they start moving around the brooder box you can suspend a spray of millet for them to peck at, very little is actually ingested but it gives them the idea that there little beaks are used for something other then being held open to beg :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts