Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before anything: I DID NOT LET MY BIRDS EAT CHLORINE.

Today both my birds were out of their cage and up on the curtain holder, as usual, when I noticed them sort of chewing on it. Now, the last time I had mold the walls were treated with a substance containing chlorine (the birds were not in the room, don't worry), so there is a possibility that some may have remained on the upper side of the curtain holder.
They didn't look like they were actually eating it (I didn't see them swallow), but maybe licking it?
Anyway, I freaked out, naturally, which cause them to freak out. I tried to get them off the curtain holder, but since there are two in the room, they just flew from one to the other. The whole ordeal ended with them being toweled and put back into their cage until I clean the holders. You can imagine that I am not the most popular person right now :D
But I was wondering.. Is there something about chlorine they might like? I mean, it stinks like **** and I assume that taste isn't good either.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,909 Posts
It could be salty. My birds ate a huge hole into my first apartment because they liked the plaster on the wall. That was fun to patch. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,907 Posts
That's really interesting, haha. I would think salt would have something to do with it, too, but I'm no expert. Sometimes 'tiels do the darndest of things! :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,225 Posts
It could be salty. My birds ate a huge hole into my first apartment because they liked the plaster on the wall. That was fun to patch. :rolleyes:
Ah, now I know I must have something of a cockatiel in me. I did the same as a baby. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Chlorine's a gas, so even if they had managed to eat some I doubt it would've done much. I still would've cleaned it though! They're such troublemakers sometimes :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
If you used bleach, it evaporates pretty quickly, and once evaporated it leaves plain salt as a residue (NaCl - harmless).

One of the reasons why bleach is recommended for cleaning pacifiers and other infant-friendly uses...

If you used some other commercial specific-purpose product it's harder to say for certain. If there's other active ingredients, those might pose a problem. There may also be surfactants in the product that would be harmful to ingest.

Generally speaking I would not be concerned about chlorine, unless it was still wet, or you could still smell fumes being emitted.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top