Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't sure where to put this so I put it under cockatiel talk :)

I am soooooo nervous. :eek: This coming weekend I'm going to be representing cockatiel breeders here in the city at the city's first ever pet show. It's been BLINKING EXPENSIVE ($250 and that was the discount! :blink:), but it gives me a chance to showcase my artwork and best of all, brag about how awesome tiels are.

I get to bring my birds with me, but I just don't know who to bring. There'll be about 8 thousand people through the doors, so do I bring the birds used to the noise of a crowd or do I bring the one cockatiel I'm fostering and get him some attention? Or do I bring all three of them? I've done displays with Mindwipe and Redshift, and they're used to all the weird looks people give them, but I dunno about Eclipse, my foster. He's never done anything like this and it's going to be 2 days, 8 hours long. I'll be covering part of the cage so they can escape the chaos of the day, but it won't be 100% protection.

I guess the point of this is just to whine, LOL. Think out loud, you know? Can anyone else think of other ways to keep my birds comfy?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Take them all lol and maybe give them turns with their cages mostly covered for some peace and quiet.
It sounds very exciting! Do,you have pictures of your artwork on this forum?

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take them all lol and maybe give them turns with their cages mostly covered for some peace and quiet.
It sounds very exciting! Do,you have pictures of your artwork on this forum?
OOOH! Hadn't considered switching them on and off. I'll definitely give that a try :) Just means having an extra cage around for the day. I wonder if an extra cage would be considered a 'kennel'? (There's a rule about having no kennels in the booth area. Pttthhhhht)

Actually no, I've not put up any of my art on the forum :) I should post a thing or two! I specialize in fantasy art (Lots of dragons) but I do some pet art as well. Usually commissions. Thanks for the idea!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Pet show

Wow, that sounds like fun! :) I do think switching them off and on would be a good idea if you can. I have never done anything like that with cockatiels or other parrots, but I have worked with raptor centers and rehab centers where we have done shows like that. We would usually have one or two birds out for a while, then put them in a back room or vehicle somewhere out of the noise and visiual stimulation for a while. You know your birds; you can tell if one of them is getting stressed. Would you have a vehicle within a reasonable distance if you cannot have a "kennel" there? Of course, depending on the weather, that might not be possible.
Whatever you decide, have a good time! I hope all goes well for you and your 'tiels! They make such wonderful companions; it will be great if you can introduce some people to a new companion!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
pet show

It's Saturday, so I guess maybe your show is going on right now. Just curious to hear how it went. Is it both days (Sat and Sun)? How did your birds do? I hope they didn't get too stressed out. Do you know if you "sold" anyone on the idea of a cockatiel as a pet? I hope you had a great time there and that all went well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts