1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
How old is Sunshine ? If Sunshine is over a year old i would say female because she looks like a lutino pearl and still has pearling

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Sunshine is a lutino pearl and if she is over a year old she is a female, since males lose their pearls ( that lovely yellow lacing on her back). Shes very pretty!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure how old Sunshine is. I bought her at a local pet shop. The guy there who took care of the birds said Sunshine looked like a male, but by the way she acts I think Sunshine is a female. I have only had Sunshine for almost 2 months now.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
You'll have to wait for her to molt and see if she loses her pearling or not. :) pretty bird!

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
I would wait and see.. I have gotten males that haven't whistled or done any male behaviors for several months, you have had Sunshine 2 months, she could very well be a she, but she could also surprise you at any time. :)

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
Yep, Sabian who has been DNA tested shows absolutely no signs of being a boy! I have had him two months.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Taz didn't show any signs until I put him in with my boys. They taught him to sing..lol before though his owner of 2 years was convinced he was a girl (he is pied so no yellow mask to tell).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. I called my pet store where I bought Sunshine at and they said when i got her, she was most likely around 12-13 weeks old. and I've had her 2 months. So, shes only about 5 months old. We'll see I guess. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Through genetics is it possible to sex my cockatiel early?

Hi, this is the first time I have posted here.
I have a beautiful young girl/boy who is nearly six weeks old.
He/she has parents who I quote are "a Pearl mum and a Grey dad who is split for ino". (I'm not sure if ino is slang for latino or if it means something in the bird world, sorry.
But anyway, my lovely little bird doesn't have any spots at all under his/her wings although it is the classic grey colour at this stage. Does this make it a male though? Or shall I wait for its first moult? It's siblings looked to be two other greys and a lutino.
Please see pic of my beautiful baby in my signature
Thank you.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Hi:) In the future please start your own thread instead of bringing up an old thread. Thanks.

ino is a short form for lutino. Take a look at the wing spot sexing thread, http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=18307, if your bird has no spots it sounds like hes most likely male though. According to his parentage he could be either sex so that wont help.

There are some behaviours that only males do, whistling( a few females can whistle but its rare), beak banging ( banging beak on objects like a woodpecker), and heart wings ( holding wings up slightly which creates a heart shape), but at such a young age these may take a while to manifest.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts