Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just need to vent, LOL.

For those who remember my signature, I have a Whippet/Italian Greyhound cross as a Service dog. Unfortunately it's getting close - give or take 4 years - to the time I'll have to retire her . So I'm researching for a breed that would make a good service dog for me. My ideal dog is a silken windhound, which is a new breed being developed. They're about the size of a whippet and look a lot like miniature Borzois. My second choice is a Whippet, and my third choice is a retired racing Greyhound. My future dog is going to be Owner trained as I don't have 10 thousand dollars (or more) to get a program trained dog.

So I'm researching retired racing Greyhounds. My head is gonna spin right off my shoulders. So much to consider! The Greyhound is the best choice for me price wise and training wise, but they are so BIG. But their temperament is what I'm looking for, plus a lot of their training - like handling crowds and leash work, is taken care of. Sigh.

So yeah. Just thought I'd vent. if people have any questions or comments, feel free to holler :) I'm pretty open about my use of a service dog and my medical conditions.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Sooooo silken wolfhound huh? My buddy just got one from the breeder out here in Austin who developed the breed. Like the breeder who created the breed. Her puppies are adorable and really sweet. His male, Wayward, is a love bug and his parents took home Wayward's sister to use as a companion in the nursing home where his mom works.

Finding the right dog is always hard. I got lucky with both my girls, they bonded to either me or my husband, and fit in well. Knowing what you want is the first step. My issue with whippets, and this is coming from a vet stand point, is how delicate they are. We see them all the time for abrasions and things because their skin is so fragile. One reason why I would never have one. Good luck on the hunt!

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! :D Yeah...whippets can be quite the accident prone breed when it comes to tears and what not. One of our family whippets tore his thigh skin open and not a tiny tear either. He wiped out on our brick driveway! Ouch!

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
One of our family whippets tore his thigh skin open and not a tiny tear either. He wiped out on our brick driveway! Ouch!
Yep we see that all the time with our clients!! And then they look so sad when you're treating them!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts