Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried posting this earlier but it disappeared, not sure why.

Anyways, I have a light pied male that started out with an almost fully grey face but who now has a mostly yellow face. He was 6 months when I got him and he's about 10 months now. I also know for a fact that he's a light pied and not split for pied because the breeder is sure of the mother and father and that they have only ever had pied babies, so neither is a split for pied either.

His breeder thinks that perhaps since he is a light pied that the part of the pied gene that inhibits the males' face from changing to yellow was not strong enough to keep that from happening to my little guy.

Has anyone else had a light pied male with a dirty face that cleared up to a bright yellow?

I've attached a couple of pics. His face is even more yellow now than the most recent picture with very little grey left in his cheeks and face but still grey marbling on the back of his head and grey stripes in his crest.

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks, northernfog! He's still young and from what I understand, pied males tend to lose their baby bars more slowly than normal greys (or other mutations). Other than losing their baby bars and spots, a pied is not supposed to change colors. If they have a grey face as a baby, it's supposed to stay grey since the mutation stops the process that lets a male 'tiel molt in that pretty yellow face.

How did yours change color, Tequila?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
No idea! It went from cinnamon grey to a very light cinnamon brownish-yellowish, very faint. I call it the dirty lutino look.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, that's where the term "dirty faced" pied comes from, a pied bird with grey on its face. Regardless of sex, their colored feathers vs clear feathers pattern will remain throughout their lives but males will lose any pearls (if they're pearl) and their baby stripes and spots (but at a slower rate). I was part of an impromptu group of dirty faced pied lovers when I first got Coyote but at this rate, he won't have a dirty face very much longer! I'm fine either way, I just like to think my special little unique snowflake is as unique as I think he is. ;)

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Pieds don't usually change colors in their face feathers. I never knew this was even possible until I saw your bird. I guess you have a special little guy who didn't follow the rules of a pied.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Yes, he's 100% positively light pied. His primaries are almost all clear as well as a large spot on his chest and some clear feathers in his crest and the back of his head. Also, both his parents were pied. Hence, this thread, as according to the "rules" his face should not change color and yet it has. In fact, he's going through a molt right now and I took a close look at his face and head today while scritching him and his face is definitely 90% yellow now whereas when I got him as a 6 month old, his face was 90% grey. His crest has not changed color at all, it's the same grey stripe in the front and yellow in the back that he had as a baby. He really is my special unique little snowflake! ha

I'm just curious if anyone else out there has seen this happen.

Just for information sake, he's split for whiteface, pearl and probably cinnamon.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Clear feathers on the back of the head are an indication of being split to pied. Some clear shots of his tail feathers and flight feathers might help clear this up. Pied never, ever plays by the rules, regardless of what we have all seen, and he is just another example of what pied can do.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He's definitely pied, not split. Both of his parents are pied and have only produced pied babies over the years. The person I bought him from knows a lot about cockatiel genetics, like a lot a lot. Like whoah a lot. Also, all but one of his primary flights are clear as well as a large spot on his belly. So yeah, pied, not split for it. And with a now very yellow face!

My phone is on the fritz, so I only have old pics of him. I found one that clearly shows his clear flights, but please ignore the spackle job on the cracked plaster in the background. My ancient house was recently attacked by a husband with dark spackle and too much motivation for his own good (but not enough to actually paint after spackling! THANKS HON, NOT EMBARRASSING AT ALL) Anyways, this pic was taken a couple of months ago, when Coyote's face first started molting in yellow.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The line between split pied and pied isn't always clear. Even some birds that experienced breeders insist are not split turn out to be split and vice-versa.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He's pied, I promise. His mother is pied. His father is pied. They have had lots of babies over their years and they're all pied. He's pied. He has clear primary feathers, except for 1 small grey one. He has a large spot on his belly that is clear. The back of his head is half white, half grey. The odds of him being split to pied as opposed to light pied are ridiculously low. This is silly.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I know this is a late response, but I think light pieds can change their facial colors like split to pieds, as there is not much "pied" in them , so the normal grey feature becomes more dominant.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts